Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Engine] 2.0 HDi (2004) van not starting
(16-08-2015, 10:29 AM)Al1000 Wrote:  I'm hoping I may just have discharged the battery and blown the (non-heavy duty) jump lead that I used to short out the positive battery terminal to a bolt, as I pulled the battery out and put it on charge again about an hour ago and it's still charging.

Fingers crossed.

Oh dear.I hope you havnt damaged anything .Its so easily done.I bet you'll be more careful next time.The man that never made any mistakes never made anything !!
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to bikergraham for this post:
  • Al1000
You won't have blown any fuses doing that, but it probably hasn't done the jump leads or battery a lot of good.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Col for this post:
  • Al1000
I think I've now located it. It looks like three bolts holding it in place. Would that be correct? I would have thought there might be four, and I can only see two, but can feel a third one.

I take it that there must be a wire going to it somewhere, but I can't see where it is, so hope that I'll be able to remove the starter motor with the wire in place, and disconnect the wire after removing the starter. Does that sound plausible?

The starter is held in place by 3 internal hex bolts. You will need an 8mm allen key socket to remove these. I just cut the end off an 8mm allen key and used an 8mm 1/2" drive socket. You will also need to remove the fuel filter to gain good access to the starter wiring from the top. I think the wiring is too short to leave until starter is out.
If you are buying a new starter, I recommend fitting one of these:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CITROEN-BERLIN...1538343557

It is bigger than the original and will be a tight fit but does go in and will give your berlingo instant starting. Ideally a 2 man job with one working below and one above to guide it home.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to jonnie100 for this post:
  • Al1000
Ok thanks, I'll have a look at removing the fuel filter tomorrow. Thanks for the link too. I see now that there are only three bolts.

Quote:I just cut the end off an 8mm allen key and used an 8mm 1/2" drive socket.

I think all I need to get is an 8mm 1/2" drive socket, as the smallest one I have in my Halfords socket set is much bigger than that. Hopefully I'll be able to pick one up at Halfords in the morning.
There are two wires. The main battery feed and the *trigger* wire - 13mm and 8mm spanners needed.
You would be better removing wires first (after disconnecting battery) as you probably will struggle to pull the nose of the starter out of the bell housing before the cables go tight.
Then you would have the issue of trying to hold starter in one hand and undo cables with the other. Undo the lower fixing bolts first and remove the top bolt from above, then remove starter by taking it out of the top or lowering to the ground whichever is easiest.