Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Radiator fans stay on and kill battery
Hi guys, really hoping somebody will be able to help out with this.

I have an intermittent issue where the radiator fan stays on after the engine in off.

Now I know they can stay on for 5/10 mins to do whatever but last November they stayed on and killed the battery... At the time the garage & the AA said I needed a new battery so I had a heavy duty one fitted and the problem was sorted.

Last night when I got home I noticed the fans were still on 20mins or so after I'd got home and the car was on the drive - so I wasn't surprised to find a flat battery this morning.

I've a 59 plate XTR, 1.6d.

Any thoughts as the garage that are normally great are saying they'll simply have to have it in for 'testing' and that they have no idea what it could be...

Thanks, David

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mine stay on occasionally, apparently its cooling the engine bay down after a DPF regen
Previous Berlingo: 2015 1.6 L1850 90ps In Artic Steel inc Look Pack and Lighting Pack.

Previous Berlingo: K9 2018 Driver M 100ps in Platinum Grey with Safety Pack

Current Berlingo: 2021 K9 Driver M Pro 130ps EAT8 in Platinum Grey with Safety Pack
Did they go off after 20 mins or stay on longer?

Do they come on when driving even when the engine is cold?
They come on fairly quickly when I start the car and no they stayed on longer than 20 mins.

(04-03-2016, 04:34 PM)stumpie Wrote:  They come on fairly quickly when I start the car and no they stayed on longer than 20 mins.

Is their a relay for it?? Maybe that's sticking open..
Okay it sounds like a faulty temperature sender if you get a diag done i suspect it will show this.
(04-03-2016, 04:44 PM)polar Wrote:  Okay it sounds like a faulty temperature sender if you get a diag done i suspect it will show this.

Thanks Polar. I started reading on it and you can't help but read the dpf/cat replacement stories that cost £1000+

The car isn't worth much so I have to be honest and say I was thinking perhaps it was time to retire her in favour of a bigger Dispatch Combi...

But a faulty temperature sender sounds less than £100 so I'll give it a go.

Thanks again Wink

Stu always start with the simple stuff first - by the way it wont hurt to pour a bottle of Millers into the tank and give it a good blast to help clean out the DPF.
The last time i replaced a temperature sender to rectify the same problem you have it cost £12.50 for the part
(04-03-2016, 05:02 PM)polar Wrote:  The last time i replaced a temperature sender to rectify the same problem you have it cost £12.50 for the part

Cool beans, thanks.