Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Radiator replacement
... and I thought that getting the radiator off was a pain... trying to get the hose to seat properly in the rad stub is impossible.
All I can offer is my sympathy. I had the same hassle last year, trying to get the rad out was almost impossible. I eventually succeeded but the motor factor had kindly provided me with the wrong radiator. Luckily, I have a second vehicle so a 30 mile round trip to the factor. Alternative rad not in stock so back again the next day. Yet another wrong rad. Back again to the factor with the wrong replacement and the old radiator as a sample. No other alternative from them and I got a refund. So, I found out the hard way that there are three types of hose bottom fitting. I called in at my local garage on the way home. They knew that I was planning to do the job because I picked their brain before I started. Easy, they said!!! They ended up towing the Bling to the garage and got the correct radiator no trouble at all. The vehicle was back here in just over an hour! I had read about the O ring and had 5 (minimum quantity purchase from a dealer near the factor). I thought I was all ready for the job. Never again thank you very much. All I can do is wish you good luck. Sorry.
Blimey, that's a sorry tale! I finally managed to get the hose fully seated in the stub just as it was going dark today! So, I threw in three or four litres of water to check it wasn't leaking... guess what?

It was leaking like a sieve. I couldn't see clearly where from, as it was dark. Arses!
Okay i take it you did not push it fully home?

I tend to use a smear of silicon it helps get the bottom hose spigot in the radiator and helps to seal a sometimes very second hand hose spigot.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to polar for this post:
  • zedhead
(10-01-2017, 08:53 PM)polar Wrote:  Okay i take it you did not push it fully home?

I tend to use a smear of silicon it helps get the bottom hose spigot in the radiator and helps to seal a sometimes very second hand hose spigot.

Ah, yes. Silicon. Now I remember the Haynes book of words mentioning Vaseline.
Yes, I know that Haynes publish books on all subjects but I'm certain I read it in the Berlingo manual!!!
Well, I don't own any vaseline, so... (and it's making me ponder the pastimes of some of this forum's members!)
First time it didn't press home fully, no matter how hard I tried, even using a pipe wrench to try and clamp it closed.
So, I took it apart again, and tried cleaning up the steel flange on the pipe, as it was a tad scabby and rusty. My Haynes manual suggested using washing up liquid as a lubricant (no mention of vaseline! you must have the Haynes manual for adults), so I gave that a go but it seemed to make little, if no, difference.
So I swore at it a bit and then stormed off. I came back with the pipe wrench again, making threatening gestures before removing the inner plastic wheel arch so I could have a bit more room. this time the flange squeezed fully home with the pipe wrench clamping it. Joy, for a bit. I threw in about four litres of water, which then proceeded to drip-drip-drip from the bottom hose joint. So I put in another two litres and left it overnight to see how much it was losing...
This morning there was still plenty of fluid in the header tank, but it was still dripping. When I was awake at about 3am (I don't sleep too well) it did think that having some pressure in the system might make the joint 'seat' itself properly, so I fired it up (which isn't so fast in this cold weather) and left it ticking over for about 30 minutes so it got fully up to temperature and...
... it stopped leaking! Although I've not test driven it yet, so no celebrations for now...
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to zedhead for this post:
  • alive23512
(11-01-2017, 03:31 PM)zedhead Wrote:  Well, I don't own any vaseline, so... (and it's making me ponder the pastimes of some of this forum's members!)
First time it didn't press home fully, no matter how hard I tried, even using a pipe wrench to try and clamp it closed.
So, I took it apart again, and tried cleaning up the steel flange on the pipe, as it was a tad scabby and rusty. My Haynes manual suggested using washing up liquid as a lubricant (no mention of vaseline! you must have the Haynes manual for adults), so I gave that a go but it seemed to make little, if no, difference.
So I swore at it a bit and then stormed off. I came back with the pipe wrench again, making threatening gestures before removing the inner plastic wheel arch so I could have a bit more room. this time the flange squeezed fully home with the pipe wrench clamping it. Joy, for a bit. I threw in about four litres of water, which then proceeded to drip-drip-drip from the bottom hose joint. So I put in another two litres and left it overnight to see how much it was losing...
This morning there was still plenty of fluid in the header tank, but it was still dripping. When I was awake at about 3am (I don't sleep too well) it did think that having some pressure in the system might make the joint 'seat' itself properly, so I fired it up (which isn't so fast in this cold weather) and left it ticking over for about 30 minutes so it got fully up to temperature and...
... it stopped leaking! Although I've not test driven it yet, so no celebrations for now...

LOL! Thanks for the update. I'm certain I read about the V stuff (!) in the Blingo book. I could reach over and grab it but I'm a bit tied (!) up at the moment. Ah, I remember something else. When I was telling the guy at the garage about the radiator leak, before I attempted the job, he too mentioned that I would need the V stuff for the job. At the same time he looked to the gent next to him and said to me, ''he knows all about Vaseline''! No reaction from the gent who still had the dead pan face. I was in hysterics. Anyway, I'll take the book to bed with me and have a read before I give it a cuddle - will report back. This continuous rain is getting to me. I have a load of jobs to do on my Jimny, one of which is the heater leaking coolant. I've clamped the hoses for now. That will be my only vehicle in a few months because I will be selling the Berlingo which is a Romahome. I sincerely hope that all goes well for you and the problem is sorted, with or without the V stuff. Keep us updated.
I test drive of around 15 miles showed that there was no loss of coolant! Temperature went up to just below halfway on the dial, which is a little lower than it used to be with the old radiator, which is to be expected I guess. Didn't run it over about 50mph, or any hard acceleration (well, as hard as a normally aspirated diesel is capable of), so a longer run may be needed to prove it's okay...
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to zedhead for this post:
  • polar