Thread Rating:
  • 10 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Real life fuel consumption
Hi guys,

I'm looking at getting a Berlingo multispace, it's the perfect cross between a car and a van for me. Due to budget restrictions I will be getting a mark 1, I've seen 1.4 or 1.8 petrol and 1.9 diesel models within my budget.

Fuel economy is the main issue for me as I'll be doing a thousand miles or so a month, around town on pizza deliveries! From what I've read so far I should be looking at approx 40 mpg from the diesel and approx 35 mpg from the 1.4. 1.4 seems tempting as they're slightly cheaper to buy and cheaper tax, also with diesel being 10p/l more expensive the 1.4 may work out about the same in £ per mile?

Basically I want to know what sort of economy you're getting from your Blingo, particularly if you have a 1.4 or 1.9d mark 1, do tell anyway if you have a later model or a different engine.

MPG would be great but if you know miles per tank (65 litre tank is it?), miles per £10/20, or even litres per km if you're one of them there europeans, I can equate to mpg.

Many Thanks
Dink
(07-02-2012, 07:37 PM)dink Wrote:  Hi guys,

I'm looking at getting a Berlingo multispace, it's the perfect cross between a car and a van for me. Due to budget restrictions I will be getting a mark 1, I've seen 1.4 or 1.8 petrol and 1.9 diesel models within my budget.

Fuel economy is the main issue for me as I'll be doing a thousand miles or so a month, around town on pizza deliveries! From what I've read so far I should be looking at approx 40 mpg from the diesel and approx 35 mpg from the 1.4. 1.4 seems tempting as they're slightly cheaper to buy and cheaper tax, also with diesel being 10p/l more expensive the 1.4 may work out about the same in £ per mile?

Basically I want to know what sort of economy you're getting from your Blingo, particularly if you have a 1.4 or 1.9d mark 1, do tell anyway if you have a later model or a different engine.

MPG would be great but if you know miles per tank (65 litre tank is it?), miles per £10/20, or even litres per km if you're one of them there europeans, I can equate to mpg.

Many Thanks
Dink

I have a 2.0l HDI, it gets driven up and down the country sometimes heavy laden sometimes light and I recon on getting about 42mpg average, I have seen up to 46 on a long light run with no time constraints. Mine is however really poor on short stop start and short journeys from cold- My old petrol bmw 3 series was better on short cold start journeys!

Chris
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Chris86 for this post:
  • dink
Thanks Chris, that's pretty much what I'd read so far. 42 mpg @ £1.41.9 a litre near me works out at approx 15p a mile.

If the 1.4 petrol does the quoted 35 mpg it works out at approx 17p a mile, not a world of difference.

Although I'm expecting to hear that the 1.4 is not as good as the quoted figures!
(07-02-2012, 07:55 PM)dink Wrote:  Thanks Chris, that's pretty much what I'd read so far. 42 mpg @ £1.41.9 a litre near me works out at approx 15p a mile.

If the 1.4 petrol does the quoted 35 mpg it works out at approx 17p a mile, not a world of difference.

Although I'm expecting to hear that the 1.4 is not as good as the quoted figures!

As a biased diesel owner,I can only note that all black cabs are diesel,as they are more economical under short run/stop start motoring.That applied 20 years ago as well as now,so I suggest a diesel is better.
Strawberry flavoured windows  Dodgy
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to ron for this post:
  • dink
I have the 2.0 hdi on an 03 plate with 128k on the clock. Its always full with work stuff and mainly gets driven around town with the odd blast down a dual carraigeway. Filling up with 20 quid at 139.9 get me 120 miles which works out around 38-39 mpg.

And also have ladders on the roof all of the time.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to 800HDI for this post:
  • dink
The "hearse" is an 03 plate 1.9 D with 146,000 on the clock , and returns 45 mpg which equates to approx 140 miles from 20 quids worth of derv . Hope these figures are of some help :thumbsup:
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to nil by mouth for this post:
  • dink
Thanks for the replies guys.

I would prefer a diesel but if a 1.4 comes up at a bargain price I may go for that.

Would love to hear some economy figures from someone who has a 1.4 first though!
berlingo's are bad on fuel compared to rivals thats the only down side to a berlingo. ive had 2 1.9D and got 35mpg the 2.0 hdi is a bit better i get 36-37mpg.
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to berlingo power for this post:
  • chronyx, dink
I´ve had my 2.0 HDi for around 10 months and it now has 114,000 on the clock. I do up to 650 miles per week on a mixture of road types and my average fuel consumption since I bought it has been 47.6mpg.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to knobblywobbly for this post:
  • dink
I do carry about 300kg of tools all the time. ive taken the roof rack off to be resprayed and it did improve the mpg