Thread Rating:
  • 19 Vote(s) - 3.05 Average
Rear Seat Belt Locked in Folded Position
Hi Everyone

I am new to the forum and I own a 1.9d berlingo multispace 2002. Today after I had the rear seats folded down I was unable to fold the double seat back up due to the middle seat belt strap had locked. This would not let the back of the seats lift up. After unbolting the seat and and turning the right way up the belt works untill I drop the seat back down again and it all locks up.

Has anyone had this happen to them ? and how to fix it.

Thanks for any help

Chas
Hi, This might be relevant, This exact fault happened on the wifes Hyundai i10.
What it was was a plastic peg/nipple had come out of the seat belt strap.
This stopped the belt from retracting fully when the seat was folded.
When the seat was upright the peg was just in front of where it disappears into the mechanism.
Maybe your's is retracting to far in ???
Have a look at this. Is this peg missing off yours?

Let us know what you find. :thumbsup:
2006 2.0hdi 600 with bench seat.  Cool
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Rustscrat for this post:
  • Chas
Yes several times it a problem in that the middle belt tightened beyond a almost useless pip on the lap belt section if clipped in - or retract too far if allowed to fully retract, the place plate on top of seat allows it to tension too much.
I found a neat trick is to trap the belt under the headrest and leave it clip in
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to ifred for this post:
  • Chas
Thank you ifred

That is exactly what I am doing at the moment. Trapping the belt in the headrest but I would like to fix it if possible.

Cheers

Chas
(08-04-2012, 09:43 AM)Chas Wrote:  Thank you ifred

That is exactly what I am doing at the moment. Trapping the belt in the headrest but I would like to fix it if possible.

Cheers

Chas

If you look at the lap belt tension buckle you will see a notch in the buckle and on the belt a plastic button - if you can make the button thicker -it won't pass the notch and go really tight.
Also the plastic plate of the top of the seat where the buckle come out is the centre broken, twisted or worn, a new one or metal plate screwed across should fix it.
Usual Car makers shaving a few pennies of the cost!
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to ifred for this post:
  • Chas
(08-04-2012, 02:14 PM)ifred Wrote:  
(08-04-2012, 09:43 AM)Chas Wrote:  Thank you ifred

Cheers

Chas

If you look at the lap belt tension buckle you will see a notch in the buckle and on the belt a plastic button - if you can make the button thicker -it won't pass the notch and go really tight.
Also the plastic plate of the top of the seat where the buckle come out is the centre broken, twisted or worn, a new one or metal plate screwed across should fix it.
Usual Car makers shaving a few pennies of the cost!

Thank you

The plastic plate on mine at the top of the seat has broken so maybe if I can source a new one this will fix it.

Thanks
I will update as soon as I get this fixed

Chas
Just to let you know, I bought a new plastic cover that clips on top of the seats but stops the belt from retracting too far in when folding and this has now fixed the fault.

Thanks for all your help

Chas
I have just bought my Berlingo and have encountered the same problem. One of the first things I did when I got it was to fold the rear seats to see how much room I had in the back. When I came to unfold them I found that the seat belt in the middle of the double seat had got stuck. After a search on the internet I found what seemed to be a good solution on a site called Honest John. The solution was ....

1: Make sure the belt can't retract any further, by wrapping it around something (if possible) or putting some kind of clip on it.

2: Fold up the single seat, so it's out of the way.

3: Remove the plastic covers at the sides of the seat where the two parts join. (NB Not all the screws are the same - keep track!) These cover two T-50 bolts that form the hingle of the upper and lower parts of the seat.

4: Undo the two T-50 bolts. NB these two bolts are different. Keep track!

5. With the lower part of the seat in the normal position (i.e. horizontal), move the now loose upper part of the seat back and down (and a little bit sideways) so that it is not sitting just behind the lower part of the seat, and is vertical.

6: Carefully, with the slack that has now been created, allow a small amount of seat belt back into the vertical seat back, to unlock the intertial reel. You should now be able to draw out the seat belt.

7. Carefully wrapping the excess around a headrest, to make sure it doesn't all get drawn back in again, re-assemble the seat.

NB I also unhooked the string/plastic combo that lifts the seat latches when the back of the seat is folded. I don't think this was actually necessary, but I might be mistaken.

It's a bit fiddly, and I found the T-50s very stiff, but not too bad all in all. Best of luck to anyone with this problem.

Unfortunately when I tried the above method it just made it worse. When I allowed a bit of slack to go into the seat, it still did not release the seat belt, so now I only have about 15cm (6 inch) of free seat belt left. I would really appreciate it if anyone can tell me how to release the seat belt with out having to take it to a garage.
I had a little search today before I took on the fix myself and found this topic. Took me ages to unfold the seat the other day trying to fit them quickly for a trip. It turn out the bracket got loose and the seatbelt nipple passes by the stupid cheap plastic stopper so I've tightened it and it seemed to have fixed it.
Took some photos for those who might accidently end up in here looking for a solution
http://i.imgur.com/ajE8Z5e.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Pfmvf8v.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/F6dgmmq.jpg

p.s If the mechanism is jammed instead, I'm not sure there is a solution since the unit is build inside the seat.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Kokain for this post:
  • Rustscrat
(16-04-2012, 07:40 PM)Chas Wrote:  Just to let you know, I bought a new plastic cover that clips on top of the seats but stops the belt from retracting too far in when folding and this has now fixed the fault.

Thanks for all your help

Chas

Hi, I’m looking for this part, can you tell me what it’s called/where you got it from please?