Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Rear seat conversion
Hi guys first off apologies if this is in the wrong section.

Im on the lookout for a partner or berlingo as a runabout/ 2nd car. The trouble is there doesnt seem to be many multispace/combis in my budget that are worth buying but there are several vans. I dont need a back seat all the time but it would be handy to have as i have a young child and another on the way. Id rather have the proper rear seat from a multispace with proper seatbelts rather than a convesion with lap belts for obvious reasons. Does anyone know if this is possible or has been done??

Any help/info is appreciated

Thanks
There are conversions that have been done but its a minefield of problems with access to seats, seatbelt mounts and room for your feet. Also take into account a van usually has a higher tax band.
If it was me I would get a multispace, nice ones do turn up at a good price its just a matter of searching and a bit of luck.
You have probably looked on ebay but dont forget gumtree, autotrader and local papers.
Are we there yet????? Huh
Ex 1.6hdi van now 3 seater 1.4 multispace
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Tomcat3 for this post:
  • ron
Yeh have seen a few multispaces for sale on gumtree etc. Had been thinking about a van as my mate is thinking about selling his 1.6hdi partner after xmas and i know the history of the van since it was 6 months old. Im assuming converting a van would also mean notifying the dvla and the possibility of requiring and engineers report??

The more i think about it the more waiting for the right multispace sounds like an easier option lol
As its a second car dont discount the 1.9 derv models Its a bit of a plodder but there was loads of these sold and they go on forever. Im sure the dvla would want to know and vosa would want to know concerning mot but perhaps one of our more informed members concerning these issues can shed some light. And dont forget your insurance company.

Just a thought
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Citroen-Berlin...2c76952b46
A bit further away
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2003-CITROEN-B...19e2fc0c26
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to Tomcat3 for this post:
  • Adam D, ron
Most of the multispaces for sale seem to be 1.9ds anyway but for the mileage it will do it doesn't really matter. Plus for what I've read there's less to go wrong with the older Diesel engine. Yeh I knew I'd need to notify my insurance aswell.
what sort of budget have u got?

ive bought 2, 1 last year and 1 this year, last years was £350 and this years £400 both mk1 (obviously) and have been sweet as a nut.
MK1 Berlingo, Y-Reg 1.4 Petrol Now LPG Converted.
For the seat conversion or for the car? Lol

As it's a 2nd car I'm not wanting to spend a fortune on it only looking at spending around £1000-£1500. Have seen a few multispaces come up for sale in the last few days. Would prefer a mk2 to a mk1 but if it's the right car it doesn't make a huge difference.
This any use to you adam http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Citroen-Berlin...2a341dd605
One owner and looks good nick and recent cam belt which is worth a few hundred quid as long as there is proof.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Tomcat3 for this post:
  • Adam D
Looks quite clean and pretty low mileage for its age. Might go for a nosey at it if I get time this week although think I prefer the mk2 front now lol
Check with your insurer before fitting rear seats you may find they refuse cover or want some kind of engineers report certifying that the seats have been installed correctly. They'll also probably load the premium as you'll have a vehicle capable of carrying 4/5 people rather than 2 so the risk increases.

It's worth contacting the DVLA if you go ahead as the "number of seats" section of the V5 will need to be changed and they may also require evidence that seats have been fitted such as photos or an engineers report.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to stuartinlancashire for this post:
  • Adam D