Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Rear suspension problem - which years, what to look for?
I'm looking at buying a cheap Berlingo/Partner as a family runaround/ gardening car/ kayak and bike transporter - something around 2002 - 2006 for about £1500 maybe?

I have read about rear suspension failure due to lack of lubrication (or something?) in the rear suspension torsion bar where a complete reconditioned back axle has to be fitted which could cost hundreds

How common is this problem? Would I be able to spot the warning signs on a car with patchy service history? Are there any years of car better than others?

I'm afraid its really put me off buying since I want a car/van which can handle a bit of load safely. Thanks in advance - Dan
Berlingos are great. Rear axle wear shows as the top of the wheels pointing inwards. It's easy to spot. Service history isn't really relevant for this as there's nowhere to grease them, which is the cause of the problems in the first place.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
2004 Multispace Desire HDi - "Bertie"
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to mikep1973 for this post:
  • pierhead
Assume it's going to fall due within eighteen months, budget accordingly. You should get ten years out of your £550 swap so that amortises nicely.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to addo for this post:
  • pierhead
(25-01-2014, 01:10 AM)addo Wrote:  Assume it's going to fall due within eighteen months, budget accordingly. You should get ten years out of your £550 swap so that amortises nicely.

Some of the companies that supply recon. axles fit grease nipples so that they can be lubed. Way to go!
The Older I get the Better I Was!  Cool
Thanks very much for the replies. I've taken a chance on a cheap 2002 1.9 diesel on ebay - pick it up at the weekend. Unseen, but it seems a genuine family sale instead of the usual trade-in with a quick valet, so fingers crossed. At least I know what to watch for and can get it sorted if needed.

Dan
My rear wheels tilt out from the top to the bottom, wider at the bottom, VERY visible from the rear standing back 20 yards, been like that for 12 years, so its hard to make a visual possible axle failure diagnosis by looking at the wheel camber, most cars show visible camber, some more than the Blingo
(28-01-2014, 07:06 PM)Barkas Wrote:  My rear wheels tilt out from the top to the bottom, wider at the bottom, VERY visible from the rear standing back 20 yards, been like that for 12 years, so its hard to make a visual possible axle failure diagnosis by looking at the wheel camber, most cars show visible camber, some more than the Blingo
Or you are 12 years driving around with worn bearings?