Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Road trip in the van
        65hp
4000 plus mile road trip
151,000 miles and counting
An odd set of figures but so far, so good

My journey started in deepest Norfolk and headed south via Suffolk, Essex and Kent before our first stop before jumping on the Eurotunnel

The van is loaded up with the Mrs, two dogs and six months of gear for our little adventure. We'll be camping, using aires and staying in one of two apartments along the way as we work our way through France, maybe into Italy and then Spain, Portugal, and possibly Luxembourg on the home too

The van has averaged about 45-50mpg on the way down, and cruises happily enough at 55-60mph but you could never call it quiet. Space wise it's been very comfortable (I'm 6'5" and the Mrs is 5'11")

So far we've stopped in Châlons en Champagne for two nights camping, Macón near Lyon for one night in an aire, and about two weeks near the Alps. It's been mint! The van struggles a bit on some of the mountain roads as they can be very steep, really windy and the lack of oompth makes momentum cornering a must. That aside the Berlingo has been a great choice. Anyway, some pics. I'll update the trip as I go. Please excuse the post quality as I'm trying to do this on my phone ?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Wanderer for this post:
  • philip
Nice photos nothing wrong with them.
I DO MISS MY BERLINGO Heart
Pictures are really quality. What a beautiful castle is on the picture?
The walled city in the photo is Entrevaux in France. Thanks
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Wanderer for this post:
  • pk7478
Thank you Traveler Smile
Wow.No wonder you call yourself the wanderer.The very best of luck to you.Please keep your progress coming in to us,im routing for you.Stay safe.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to bikergraham for this post:
  • Wanderer
    A few lovely days in Nice,
    Valberg
    and then Gillaume

Valberg is one of the nicest Ski resorts I've seen even with no snow around. The views of the high Alps in the distance was unreal

Guillaume is another lovely market town with a medieval village within it. This area of France has so many beautiful places and many of which would be entirely missed if you stay to the main roads.
Explore!! Big Grin
We're going back to Nice this week, and the Monaco before we start on our way to Spain next weekend
Wanderer - I'm green with envy.  I've toured around France quite a bit over the years and totally agree about exploring off the main roads.  Years ago my wife and I used to tour by motorcycle, staying off the main roads to save money, and pretty much go where the fancy took us.  We discovered some fabulous places.

Enjoy your trip and keep posting the photos!
2013 Berlingo XTR 1.6 HDi 90 (WAV)
2016 Partner Tepee 1.6 Blue HDI S/S (WAV)
2020 VW Caddy Maxi Life 2.0 TDI (WAV)

[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to MarkT for this post:
  • Wanderer
(18-10-2015, 12:53 PM)Wanderer Wrote:  A few lovely days in Nice,
Valberg
and then Gillaume

Valberg is one of the nicest Ski resorts I've seen even with no snow around. The views of the high Alps in the distance was unreal

Guillaume is another lovely market town with a medieval village within it. This area of France has so many beautiful places and many of which would be entirely missed if you stay to the main roads.
Explore!! Big Grin
We're going back to Nice this week, and the Monaco before we start on our way to Spain next weekend

Stunning scenery
I DO MISS MY BERLINGO Heart
(17-10-2015, 07:13 PM)Wanderer Wrote:  65hp
4000 plus mile road trip
151,000 miles and counting
An odd set of figures but so far, so good

My journey started in deepest Norfolk and headed south via Suffolk, Essex and Kent before our first stop before jumping on the Eurotunnel

The van is loaded up with the Mrs, two dogs and six months of gear for our little adventure. We'll be camping, using aires and staying in one of two apartments along the way as we work our way through France, maybe into Italy and then Spain, Portugal, and possibly Luxembourg on the home too

The van has averaged about 45-50mpg on the way down, and cruises happily enough at 55-60mph but you could never call it quiet. Space wise it's been very comfortable (I'm 6'5" and the Mrs is 5'11")

So far we've stopped in Châlons en Champagne for two nights camping, Macón near Lyon for one night in an aire, and about two weeks near the Alps. It's been mint! The van struggles a bit on some of the mountain roads as they can be very steep, really windy and the lack of oompth makes momentum cornering a must. That aside the Berlingo has been a great choice. Anyway, some pics. I'll update the trip as I go. Please excuse the post quality as I'm trying to do this on my phone ?

Thank you for your photos - the pictures are stunning and your two dogs are really cute; are they enjoying their European trip?