Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.75 Average
Roof Box - getting desperate
Just bought a Mont Blanc roof box, which stated on their website that it fits the Berlingo Multispace 2004. Well it doesn't! The factory fitted roof bars/rails on the car are too wide for the hole spacings in the box. Does anybody know which roof box will fit my car? I have 9 days to sort this out until going away to France. My Citroen dealership quoted silly money for a box, but even they couldn't say if it would fit. The problem is the roof bars I think, I could buy a new set of roof bars but they are on the roof anyway so why buy something I already have? All I need is a list of roof box make/models that will fit to the existing bars - any clues people?

Thanks for any advice, I'm sure other people have had this problem.
The company that sold you the box should be doing the running around -whisper soem sweet nothings down the phone at them...
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to evdama for this post:
  • AJM
I don't know which company you've been dealing with, but if you haven't done so already you could do worse than http://www.roofbox.co.uk/
They offer a huge range of products at competitive prices, and have a 90 day exchange policy. I've bought quite a few things from them over the last 4-5 years and found them very helpful. They also sell off used/returned items under their 'Bargains/Offers' tab.

:thumbsup:
'56 Multispace 1.6HDi - Iron Grey
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to pidgeonpost for this post:
  • AJM
I am not sure what you mean about it not fitting?

I have a Mont Blanc one that I use with the existing bars. I turn the bars around so they are across the car instead of the normal position and then the roof box has multiple holes to use for the hand tight fixing. I just picked the best ones and it's on?

Are you saying with the bars turned 90 degrees, none of the holes will suit?

I think this is the one I have... well looks about the size and shape:

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/mont-blanc-v...tAodrikAlQ

In terms of what will fit, my bars when switched are 92cm apart.

So any box that accepts a span of 92cm or more fits. So most except for the smaller boxes.

Which model did you buy as the one I have shown above goes upto 100cm. It's a big box by the way!
i know very little about roof boxes but dont they normally fit to 2 bars running accross the roof, the cross bars either clamp to the factory fitted rails that nun along both sides of the car , or have feet to the roof attachment points(or gutters on older cars) it sounded like the op is trying to fit the box direct to the rails without crossbars?
Are you saying you have the roof rails that run the length of the car, if so you need the cross member bars that go across the car and your box then attaches to these. They do come up on ebay quite often.
Are we there yet????? Huh
Ex 1.6hdi van now 3 seater 1.4 multispace
The standard bars on the desire model detach and switch around, so technically he doesn't need anything else.

However they are only rated to something like 35kg, so they are not designed to take a lot of weight.
I have bought the smallest roof box, hence why the pre-drilled mount holers dont fit. however, I bit the spending bullet, bought a new set of cross bars fitted at 90 degrees to the rails and bingo on the berlingo, it all fits well. thanks to everyone for replying, I'm just a tad miffed that I had to shell out another £40 to get the result. Now, off to find the cause of that "doink" noise in the rear...
(16-12-2012, 03:53 PM)AJM Wrote:  I have bought the smallest roof box, hence why the pre-drilled mount holers dont fit. however, I bit the spending bullet, bought a new set of cross bars fitted at 90 degrees to the rails and bingo on the berlingo, it all fits well. thanks to everyone for replying, I'm just a tad miffed that I had to shell out another £40 to get the result. Now, off to find the cause of that "doink" noise in the rear...

You can get tablets for that.:lol:
Strawberry flavoured windows  Dodgy