Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.25 Average
SLIPPING CLUTCH CHECK PLEASE

Hi the clutch is a little stiff, the car, 1999 berlingo multi, 1,9 2.000 miles in four years.

I removed the air filter to get to the end of the cable and used some wd 40 to apply to the part that moves when u put the clutch pedal down, dont know the proper word for itConfusedcratch:, to day it seems a little better:lol:, could some one please tell me how to check for clutch slip, I dont think it is, but would like to check b4 I replace the cableConfusedtudy:

Cheers
Put it into second or third gear handbrake on, let the clutch out gently with some revs , and if the engine does not stall your clutch is slipping.
Do not think that clutch slipping is your problem. Could be the cable sticking, or it will be the shaft inside the clutch housing that is sticking/or thrust bearing carrier sticking. If so, gearbox out job and new clutch assy.
(10-07-2013, 07:26 PM)brodfather11 Wrote:  Put it into second or third gear handbrake on, let the clutch out gently with some revs , and if the engine does not stall your clutch is slipping.
Do not think that clutch slipping is your problem. Could be the cable sticking, or it will be the shaft inside the clutch housing that is sticking/or thrust bearing carrier sticking. If so, gearbox out job and new clutch assy.

GR8 brodfather11 , thanks for the reply, I will do as u suggest tomorrow and post the result, I just hope its the cable:whistle:
Try searching the threads about clutches and cables because there has been a few mentions of running oil down the clutch fork to lube the bearing that sticks on the shaft because of the dust. Im sure it relates to your gearbox.
Just a thought.
Are we there yet????? Huh
Ex 1.6hdi van now 3 seater 1.4 multispace
Some items but in no special order...
1/ Take the cable off at the gearbox end and hang it up then dribble oil down it and allow it to penetrate all along.
2/ Half way along is the cable adjuster, open this and fill with grease.
3/ Don't use WD40 as this isn't much good since it just evaporates away - use oil.
4/ Use plasticine around the actuator shaft where it enters the gearbox to make a well and fill this well with oil and as you operate the clutch the oil will quietly work its way down the shaft and lubricate the bushes which often partially seize around the shaft - the shaft rusts.
5/ In the cab lubricate the pivots of the pedal.

I've done all of the above and these things collectively have all contributed to a much improved clutch pedal.

Beyond all this you need to consider the angle of the pedal and its foot plate. When I bought my vehicle these both needed adjustment ( bending ) to suit and this again has made for a much improved action.

I have to say though that the cable clutch on this vehicle is a poor design and the ergonomics are not the best so don't expect to end up with a class leading clutch pedal as you won't get it.

Clutch slip .... what makes you think you have this ??? If you put the vehicle in top gear at lowish speeds and press the throttle pedal all the way down the engine should bog down and shudder, if the engine revs rise without giving forward motion then the clutch is slipping. I have to say that you would be noticing this even if you were an insensitive soul.

Anyway, have a search of the forum database as it makes good reading and is most informative.
2007 M59 1.6 HDi 

Serieal Berlingo owner  Heart Heart Heart
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to geoff for this post:
  • ron
(10-07-2013, 08:58 PM)Tomcat3 Wrote:  Try searching the threads about clutches and cables because there has been a few mentions of running oil down the clutch fork to lube the bearing that sticks on the shaft because of the dust. Im sure it relates to your gearbox.
Just a thought.

Thanks Tomcat, I tried this with wd40 with a little improvement, I will now try with light oil.

(10-07-2013, 11:11 PM)geoff Wrote:  Some items but in no special order...
1/ Take the cable off at the gearbox end and hang it up then dribble oil down it and allow it to penetrate all along.
2/ Half way along is the cable adjuster, open this and fill with grease.
3/ Don't use WD40 as this isn't much good since it just evaporates away - use oil.
4/ Use plasticine around the actuator shaft where it enters the gearbox to make a well and fill this well with oil and as you operate the clutch the oil will quietly work its way down the shaft and lubricate the bushes which often partially seize around the shaft - the shaft rusts.
5/ In the cab lubricate the pivots of the pedal.

I've done all of the above and these things collectively have all contributed to a much improved clutch pedal.

Beyond all this you need to consider the angle of the pedal and its foot plate. When I bought my vehicle these both needed adjustment ( bending ) to suit and this again has made for a much improved action.

I have to say though that the cable clutch on this vehicle is a poor design and the ergonomics are not the best so don't expect to end up with a class leading clutch pedal as you won't get it.

Clutch slip .... what makes you think you have this ??? If you put the vehicle in top gear at lowish speeds and press the throttle pedal all the way down the engine should bog down and shudder, if the engine revs rise without giving forward motion then the clutch is slipping. I have to say that you would be noticing this even if you were an insensitive soul.

Anyway, have a search of the forum database as it makes good reading and is most informative.
Thanks Geoff for a nice walkthrough I will try all you have mentioned, looks a proper procedure , I tried the clutch to day up hill in fourth gear, I was doing about 40mph put my foot down revs moved up very slowly with speed so I dont think its slipping.

Cheers Mick
Let us know how you get on.
2007 M59 1.6 HDi 

Serieal Berlingo owner  Heart Heart Heart
If the car's only covered 2000 miles in four years then it may well be that the clutch cable is starting to seize.
From the most accessible end of the cable try to get some WD40 into it and when it's freed off lubricate it
with oil. Not having a clutch cable on mine that's all I can say....I don't know whether or not there's a cable oiler
built in or not.
The best solution would be to remove the entire cable and immerse the whole thing in oil overnight.
But I suppose if you do that you may as well replace the cable.......
The Older I get the Better I Was!  Cool
HI AND THANKS TO ALL WHO CONTRIBUTED TO MY POST, SORRY DID NOT UP DATE HAD A FEW COMPUTER PROBLEMS,Sad NOW FIXED, EXCEPT KEYBOAD LOCK STAYS ON SOMETIMES,Confusedcratch: HAD TO RE-INSTALL WIN XP.:brickwall:

TRIED AS YOU ALL SUGESTED SO HAVING A NEW CLUTCH CABLE FITTED TOMORROW AT AUTO FRANCE IN RAMSGATE , WILL LET YOU ALL KNOW IF ITS AN IMPROVEMENT.:whistle:

THANKS
:wave:Hi all BLISS:woop: NEW CABLE , CLUTCH NOW SMOOTH AS A BABYS,

THANKS TO ALL WHO CONTRIBUTED TO MY CRY FOR HELPBig Grin
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to yidaki for this post:
  • RolyG