Thread Rating:
  • 24 Vote(s) - 3.13 Average
STOP!
About a month ago I was driving down from a multi-story car park (The Curly wurly) as we call it in Southend

[Image: 2zs7jut.jpg]

So you can see it

I was on my way down when I get beeping from the dash and the STOP light on the dash flashing on and off it only happened the once and was fine, I came down from the car park today and again I had the same thing but drove from the car park and about 20 minutes later going down a hill I had the light and beeping again. I've looked and found a few things it could be most saying fluid levels, LHM fluid (Can someone explain what LHM is?) or brake fluid. Any help would be appreciated

Thanks Lliam
Lliam

53 plate Berlingo Multispace Forte 1.9D Polar White
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to lemsworld for this post:
  • Johnlovesnachos
This is what I found on Wikipedia -

"Citroën quickly realized that standard brake fluid was not ideally suited to high pressure hydraulics. They invented a new, green fluid, LHM. LHM stands for Liquide Hydraulique Minéral and is a mineral oil, quite close to automatic transmission fluid." Ed: It is also not hygroscopic like break fluid.
2010 Berlingo Multispace HDi 110 with FAP.  Persamos green.

[-] The following 3 users say Thank You to 3rensho for this post:
  • bikergraham, Iank, lemsworld
Lliam. Please, check the level of a brakefluid!!! And add it if necessary. Open Users Manual and read corresponding chapter how to do it and where to see.
LHM this is for Citroens with Hydroactive suspension.
In Berlingo this liquid is not used.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to pk7478 for this post:
  • lemsworld
In the event of not having the manufacturer's handbook, it should tell you what type of fluid to use, on the cap to the brake fluid reservoir.

Having checked mine when I first had the motor think it stated CAT4 type fluid, which is standard brake fluid.

Had a similar experience with dashboard light flashing on intermittantly, (The red one which also indicates when the handbrake is on), on my old Pug 306.
Pulled up and checked brake fluid level in reservoir (Zilch), quick look under vehicle and one of the rear brake backplates wet with fluid. Slave Cylinder U/S so N/S and O/S replaced along with brake reline.
Berlingo Multispace 2.0HDI '54 reg Mediterranean Blue
Yeah, my German handbook says DOT4 break fluid. DOT in the US is the Department of Transportation (your MOT equivalent most likely) and they set standards for various things automotive.
2010 Berlingo Multispace HDi 110 with FAP.  Persamos green.

Thank you everyone

I have the handbook so will have a look, I thought it was that I had the handbreak on maybe but it wasn't. I will check the fluid levels tomorrow in daylight

Thank you again for you help

Lliam
Lliam

Hello Lliam,
If it is dry outdoors weatherwise, I would also have a quick look underneath at all 4 corners viz. Around the brake backplates and the brake calipers for evidence of a leak.
If the rear cylinders are leaking, it is prudent to replace both sides, if one side is showing U/S then the other is probably on its way, cant clean brake shoes as easy nowadays either so if they are contaminated they will need replacing.
Don't want to be "The prophet of doom" but this is quoting worst case scenarios...
Berlingo Multispace 2.0HDI '54 reg Mediterranean Blue
Had a look at the fluid level. It seems to be fine over half full not near the danger level but is the reservoir container meant to be secure? You can wobble it by hand

It says DOT4 on the cap

I will take a look at the break backplates when I can

Thank you all

Lliam

Lliam

Lliam, how did you get on with this problem?? My reservoir seems to wobble slightly too, shouldn't worry about that.

This is the exact same problem I had yesterday. Driving down from a multi storey car park and the "Stop" and handbrake light both came on for about 1 minute. When I leveled off on the main road it cleared the fault.

I had the brake fluid replaced at Citroen a couple of weeks back and though it wasn't low on the reservour when I checked this morning it, was a little lower than before the service. I've topped up to a little over the Max. mark and will see how it goes this week. Another perhaps related issue is when pulling off from cold the rear shoes are making a slight grinding noise, like they have got damp overnight, when lightly appling the brakes. This goes after a couple of minutes of braking or using the handbrake to stop at low speed a couple of times.

Could it be time for some new shoes?? Could these cause the dashboard lights to come on??

Thanks.Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Cooperman for this post:
  • lemsworld
I havn't had a chance to look properly, the days I have off it seems to be raining or some sort of horrible weather. I have been driving around fine and it only seems to be on that multistory car park as I have been down it since. I havn't heard any grinding noise from the back shoes. If anyone know if the shoes make the light come on, it would let us know where to look.

Thanks Lliam
Lliam