Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Servicing
I called Arnold Clark for a quote for a service for my Seat Toledo and was told it would be £195 and that's with a discount, great I said and got it booked in with the Seat Skoda branch. I have it serviced every 20k (long life) this was its 2nd service with them.
Dropped the car off and 2 hours later it was ready to collect. 
Was told by the person at the service dept its had a long life service and has been washed and valeted, so I paid £195. She said only 1 other item needing done its one of the tyres N/S/R  2.6/3.1/3.6 I said to her its ok ill replace it another time, she did recommend to change it ASAP as it was dangerous I then told her I go to my own tyre guy as he is the cheapest, yeah but you know it is worn sir.  Rolleyes

Went home and looked at the sales Invoice, at the top it says carried out 2nd long life service reading further down it stated, oil £49.45, filter element £7.83, screw £2.08 and pollen filter £14.00, Labour £89.14 +VAT £195, NO mention of a new Air filter and no new Fuel filter. I called them up and said what about the Air and Fuel filter she told me the person that has done the service has done a 10k service on it and I can come in and have the filters replaced. 
They have also reset the service indicator to 10k and marked the service book up as a 10k service. Looking back at its first service in the book it has been marked up as a 10k service and scored through and marked down as a long life service. 
Now my question is has the technician/mechanic put in long life oil or not?? Is there a way i can find out myself? and if they have not put long life oil in with the first service can it damage the engine? Dodgy

I DO MISS MY BERLINGO Heart
Why not phone them up and ask them what oil spec was put in and is that long life oil.?
Yes I could do that but how can I trust them they have put in lo g life.
I DO MISS MY BERLINGO Heart
(13-03-2015, 09:25 AM)philip Wrote:  Yes I could do that but how can I trust them they have put in lo g life.

It's why I do my own oil changes.
I suppose you could either take their word for it or change your oil yourself then you'll know .

There was something a while ago about getting the oil analysed whether it would be cost effective or not .
There is a site which will analyse your engine oil at £60.00 or so. its something like oillab.co.uk but there are others.
I know its a Seat discussed here, but I wouldn't trust any sort of oil for 20,000 miles in any engine of mine. Time is money for garages so I bet they don't let all the old stuff drain out long enough either.

Arfcollins has the right idea, do it yourself and know its done properly.
If you are saying that mechanic might have given car 10k service insead of 20k service then speak to garage. Its possible they use longlife oil in all vehicles they service, ie they only stock only 1 type of oil. My Citroen garage states this. I told them to ensure Ineo ecs was used & he said 'its the only oil we use now'. Try googling 'VW longlife oil', you will find a pdf that appears to state that longlife servicing is a regime but same oil is specified whether changed at 10k or 20k.