Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 1.67 Average
Starter motor bypass
Hi

In need of a little guidance : I go to start my berlingo and just a get a click under the dash, am checking for connections etc. But I would like to check my starter motor by by-passing all the stuff in between and go straight from my battery. I'm a little nervous of attaching wires to the wrong thing and kabooming the daylights out of everything. I'm sure it's basic logic, but we've all seen those those films - 'is it the green or is the red?' to a background of tick-tock :eek: Any pointers of procedure from those that have defused a uxb and lived to tell the tale would be 'ansome.

many thanks
je regrette rien
Depends on what Berlingo you have, I believe the later ones are difficult to access the battery terminals?

It also depends what terminals on the starter you attach a wire to and the gauge of the wire ,

Frankly if you are not sure then don't do it .

What you can do though is get a electrical digital multimeter or a 12volt test lamp and connect that then see if there are any readings or lights coming on .

On the starter solenoid there will be a heavy cable that takes the current from the battery , that should be live, and connecting your meter/test lamp between that and an earth on the body should show 12 volts+ or lamp comes on.

The solenoid mounted on top of the starter motor also has a single wire feed from the ignition switch, usually positioned between the two large terminals. This should give a reading when ignition switch is turned to start position. You can mount the meter/test lamp so that you can see it from the drivers seat when trying this.

If no readings/light then its something else. Clicking under the dash can mean a solenoid is working somewhere or the BSI is faulty (I think)Confusedtudy:
Hi brodfather 11, thanks for reply. I'm normally happy to roll up my sleeves and tackle things, but electrics aren't my strong point. I feel a steep learning curve coming on. Your advice sounds good though and I will start with easy steps and persevere. I have also been looking for the engine earth strap so I check it out, I am probably just having a particularly dim moment, but after copious amounts of staring. I can't seem to see it. I know it sounds like being blind to the bleeding obvious, but .... any ideas?

cheers
je regrette rien
Don't know what model you have , but the early ones had an earth strap on the top of the gearbox to the battery.

Don't be shy, come on now, tell us what model and year you have !
Hi.Give us the info,we want to help you to fix it.:thumbsup:Confusedalut:
Strawberry flavoured windows  Dodgy
(21-02-2014, 08:32 PM)ron Wrote:  Hi.Give us the info,we want to help you to fix it.:thumbsup:Confusedalut:

Hi ron, thanks

Got into car, just got a click under dash. thought it might have been bsi, did the reset ok. so not thinking so now. Starts with a push easily but not on the key. Keep getting 'eco mode' on interface, battery new so should be ok. Going to test the solenoid by by-passing ignition tomorrow and see what that's like. Electrics aren't my strong point Sad
I had driven through some deepish water a few days before and started to notice an odd whine sound that increased with revs as I drove the next day. Day after that reduced to click....

(21-02-2014, 08:13 PM)brodfather11 Wrote:  Don't know what model you have , but the early ones had an earth strap on the top of the gearbox to the battery.

Don't be shy, come on now, tell us what model and year you have !

It's a 2004 hdi 2.0 desire
je regrette rien
Try tapping the solenoid and starter body lightly (but firmly) with a small hammer, it might be sticking. Otherwise try touching a wire onto the small terminal to see if it kicks in or a jump lead size wire to the bolt terminals in turn to see if the starter turns
[Image: PartImage_e6e2986b-8f37-4d85-8efd-d914ee9c0d61.jpg]
So where does this bit go then ?
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to ffrenchie for this post:
  • Greenman
(21-02-2014, 06:06 PM)brodfather11 Wrote:  Depends on what Berlingo you have, I believe the later ones are difficult to access the battery terminals?

It also depends what terminals on the starter you attach a wire to and the gauge of the wire ,

Frankly if you are not sure then don't do it .

What you can do though is get a electrical digital multimeter or a 12volt test lamp and connect that then see if there are any readings or lights coming on .

On the starter solenoid there will be a heavy cable that takes the current from the battery , that should be live, and connecting your meter/test lamp between that and an earth on the body should show 12 volts+ or lamp comes on.

The solenoid mounted on top of the starter motor also has a single wire feed from the ignition switch, usually positioned between the two large terminals. This should give a reading when ignition switch is turned to start position. You can mount the meter/test lamp so that you can see it from the drivers seat when trying this.

If no readings/light then its something else. Clicking under the dash can mean a solenoid is working somewhere or the BSI is faulty (I think)Confusedtudy:

Ok, so here's what I did (today Saturday 22nd): I don't have a multimeter here, so I got a bulb, attached a wire onto the small terminal thingy on the solenoid and put that to the pos part of bulb. I tuned on the ignition and then to start position while earthing the bulb to the body of the car. Zilch, nutting', not a flicker..
Am I right in thinking that this means that my solenoid is not being chatted to by my ignition? My earth lead from battery went to the body of the car inner wing, thought it would have gone to engine, I have a 2.0 2004 Diesel Desire. Je suis confused un peut
je regrette rien
Yes, it does sound that way.

On the underbonnet fuse panel you'll see a small yellow fuse. Check it's not blown.

When a helper turns the key as if to crank the car, you should get a healthy glow from your test light probing the back of this fuse. If not, the built in relay inside this fuse panel is duff.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to addo for this post:
  • Greenman
It points to the solenoid not getting info on one hand, but, if I take a wire to the small terminal and straight to the battery; shouldn't that kick it's backside and whizz it? I have tried both and neither produce anything. Is this a double bluff? I did get a small whirr at one point from the starter when taking it from the battery, but just briefly and that was with the ignition turned on but not turning key to the 'start' position. Would shorting across the main terminals of the starter solenoid tell me anything? Looks a tad fiddly to get to them to do that. In the old days arcing across with a heavy screwdriver was not unknown...
je regrette rien