Thread Rating:
  • 14 Vote(s) - 3 Average
2.0HDI Dirty air intake duct
I have just discovered a sooty/oily film covering the plastic air intake duct that runs from the main intake at the front to around the back of the engine block.
There is a pipe on a T-junction that feeds to the engine block (crankcase breather??) and that was just push fitted onto the lower main pipe.
Is this dirty film likely to be a result of this joint or could it be something else. See picture which I hope will explain. I have attached a cable clip around this joint and have cleaned up the main duct to see if the dirt/oil build up returns.
Thanking you in advance for any ideas or humourous comments!
[Image: 2extw0g.jpg]
03 2.0HDI Forte. I need more cash....

Yep! If the there no other oil leak anywhere else near then it has to be
hot oil rich fumes escaping at that joint. The dirt will just be road dust.
The Older I get the Better I Was!  Cool
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Ol'Jeffers for this post:
  • CitroAddict
Thanks Ol' J for your reply, I am hoping that this might be the reason as there don't seem to be any other logical explanation at the moment. Obviously time & mileage will tell, engine bay seems to be generally clean but I am not doing much mileage at this time. Still new to Blingos....
Hope I don't have to come back with an update on this one.
-----------------------------------------
You are a good bunch out there aren't you !
Confusedunny:

Yes, that's your engine breather. It feeds those nasty hot, oil rich fumes into the inlet tract where they can mix with the soot from the EGR, form tar and gum up the inlet manifold, ports and valves. But then - it stops the rainforests being cut down doesn't it???????????
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Coco for this post:
  • CitroAddict
(11-07-2012, 05:23 AM)Coco Wrote:  Yes, that's your engine breather. It feeds those nasty hot......
Diolch yn fawr as they say in these Welsh parts, time will tell if the build up returns. If it didn't rain so piggin' much I would be tempted to get my head in there and have a closer look (despite my arthritis/sciatica etc...) :thumbsup:

Confusedalut:
(10-07-2012, 11:15 AM)CitroAddict Wrote:  I have just discovered a sooty/oily film covering the plastic air intake duct that runs from the main intake at the front to around the back of the engine block.
There is a pipe on a T-junction that feeds to the engine block (crankcase breather??) and that was just push fitted onto the lower main pipe.
Is this dirty film likely to be a result of this joint or could it be something else. See picture which I hope will explain. I have attached a cable clip around this joint and have cleaned up the main duct to see if the dirt/oil build up returns.
Thanking you in advance for any ideas or humourous comments!
[Image: 2extw0g.jpg]

I had this same thing last night when was having a poke around my engine, traced it to that oil breather pipe that you mentioned that is just pushed on.

I put two juberlee s on each end.

Plus there seemed to be a little bit of oil seepage from the rocker cover gasket that might be adding to the black matte gunk you talk of.

Alex
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to alexstudly for this post:
  • CitroAddict
[i]Good call Alex, must go back and check the other end too, and my god, a man who can afford jubilee clips! A Prince amongst Blingo owners, I can only afford cable ties!!
Keep 'em coming...[i] Wink
[Image: 34i1ogm.gif]