Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
[Steering & Suspension] Brake regulator spring - where do I buy one?
Peugeot tell me that the brake regulator/compensator spring isnt available as a stand alone item - I have to buy it with the regulator.

A snip at between £80 and £140 depending on which is fitted to my vehicle.

Given how exposed these are they must rust away for everyone, so where do I get a replacement?

thanks
Hi. Mine snapped..( 02 85000 miles), I bought a spring online on Ebay, mind you, when it arrived, it was an improvised stainless steel "bolt/bonnet latch" crudely but effectively joined together, not the actual spring in the picture online. The new spring should really have had the exact same "pull" strength as the old one..." calibrated"...it had a similar tension...so i fitted it rather than send it back and has worked fine since and has been on a year. They are a bugger to fit, especially if you are on the ground, I carefully cut a 3 sided 6 inch flap of steel floor directly above the valve from inside the boot with a angle grinder, and bent the flap back revealing the complete valve and spring, freed off the seized valve actuator arm and greased the valve, fitted the spring, adjusted it and then bent the flap back down and secured with self tap screws, keeping an eye out for damaging the brake pipes as I went , this method is handy for when you next want to gain access to change the valve or renew brake pipes. You can also weld the flap back as an option and re-cut it next time to gain access.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Barkas for this post:
  • blob
Cheers!

Fitting isn't an issue - the rear axle is off the car and a recon one is going on this weekend - weather permitting(trailing arm bearing failure).

Does seem ridiculous that a trivial part can't be replaced.

Your experience is the sort of thing that puts me off ebay solutions, I can see that I may end up bending the end loop of the existing spring into a new end.
There has been a few posts on this issue on the forum have a search. Here is one on fleabay have a read of the description
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Citroen-Berlin...3384d19284
Are we there yet????? Huh
Ex 1.6hdi van now 3 seater 1.4 multispace