Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Steering & Suspension] N/S inner tie rod end
Today in dreadful conditions I had a go at replacing one of my son's tie rods N/S
I couldn't work out how to remove the rubber boot that covers the inner joint.
I tried removing the part it connects too by taking off what I presume is the power steering ram but that didn't help.
Do you just pull it off by hand or does it need getting under with a screwdriver.
I did try with a screwdriver but not knowing how it's fixed I was afraid of damaging it.
Mike
Hello Mike and please take it the right way but it would seem prudent for you to get yourself a Haynes manual.
2007 M59 1.6 HDi 

Serieal Berlingo owner  Heart Heart Heart
(19-02-2016, 09:08 PM)geoff Wrote:  Hello Mike and please take it the right way but it would seem prudent for you to get yourself a Haynes manual.

Thanks for the reply geoff, I do have a Haynes manual and it states that there are no user replaceable parts on the rack and that it has to go to a reconditioners to have any parts changed. However the inner ball joints are available and the job shouldn't be too bad. it's just a case of knowing whether to pull at the boot a bit harder or whether something else has to come apart first.
Mike
If it is the small rubber boot, it just pulls off, but it might get damaged in the process. I think they are a main dealer part only, but are not too expensive. You will need a special tool to undo the inner joint if you don't have one. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sealey-Hex-Dri...OSwjVVVqLO-

As you have found out, Haynes manuals are very poor in respect of the steering rack, mine needed a £5 rack gaiter, Haynes instruct you to replace the whole rack!!!!!!!!!!! To55ers!
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to JohnM for this post:
  • Mike Tidball
(23-02-2016, 10:32 PM)JohnM Wrote:  If it is the small rubber boot, it just pulls off, but it might get damaged in the process. I think they are a main dealer part only, but are not too expensive. You will need a special tool to undo the inner joint if you don't have one. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sealey-Hex-Dri...OSwjVVVqLO-

As you have found out, Haynes manuals are very poor in respect of the steering rack, mine needed a £5 rack gaiter, Haynes instruct you to replace the whole rack!!!!!!!!!!! To55ers!

Thanks for the reply, I believe this is the boot I'm on about
 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Steering-Rack-...SwI-BWOmze
Thanks for the link for the tool, the one I borrowed although hex in shape also has serrations and will hopefully undo it, otherwise I shall order the tool, still cheaper than having a garage do the job.
Well I got the boot off but due to the design they are not re-usable, the boot is glued to a round, serrated washer that once pushed on has to be broken to get off, also the tool I borrowed was unable to undo the round part. I did take a lump hammer and chisel to it but I think you would need an air chisel to get it to move. I have fashioned a boot out of an old inner tube and cable tied it on until the tool and new boot arrive. The boot I made actually works very well!
Its good to see someone using a bit of make do and ingenuity , making something that you need instead of going to a shop and buying it. Your boot may even outlast the new ready made one.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to brodfather11 for this post:
  • Mike Tidball
Mr MOT tester might not agree Brodfather LOL
I managed to undo the inner track end with the tool in the previous link, but I have since bought one similar to this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Inner-Tie-Rod-...Swqu9VEqGv you have to remove the outer ball joint to use it, but you have to remove the ball joint to replace the small rubber boot over the inner joint.
Don't forget to get the tracking done ASAP after completing your work, sucking eggs but you never know.

National Tyres will track for £15 if you print off the online 50% off voucher
2007 M59 1.6 HDi 

Serieal Berlingo owner  Heart Heart Heart