Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 2.64 Average
[Steering & Suspension] Rear axle 2.0 HDi
Hi,
I'd like to introduce myself - walnutfarmmick - and my 2003 2.0 HDi van. This forum was recommended to me by a friend ( that I spar with but don't actually know ) on another forum when I was seeking help regarding my rear axle. I was sure the problem must have arisen before, judging by the number of knock-kneed vans I see about, though I haven't spotted it in the past threads. Does anyone know for sure if I can fit the axle from a Mk I van ?Neither axle has disc brakes.

Thanks in advance, Mick
(29-01-2012, 03:23 PM)walnutfarmmick Wrote:  Hi,
I'd like to introduce myself - walnutfarmmick - and my 2003 2.0 HDi van. This forum was recommended to me by a friend ( that I spar with but don't actually know ) on another forum when I was seeking help regarding my rear axle. I was sure the problem must have arisen before, judging by the number of knock-kneed vans I see about, though I haven't spotted it in the past threads. Does anyone know for sure if I can fit the axle from a Mk I van ?Neither axle has disc brakes.

Thanks in advance, Mick
Hi ,
I'm surprised that my query didn't generate a reply but for the benefit of the less fortunate of you - the axles are the same on the earlier vans. Apparently its just the luck of the draw whether or not water gets into the bearings and accelerates axle wear.
All the best, Mick

Thanks for letting us know, it's appreciated and adds to the pool of knowledge from which we can all benefit.

Hope you stick around - you never know, you might find another sparring partner on here !!
Hi Mick,
At my work, the roads engineers run around in Peugot Partners of various vintage (52 plate onwards) and most of them have had to have the rear axles replaced due to the bearings wearing out and causing the wheels to splay. In some cases the axles have more or less reached the point of collapse. Mechanics reckon if a grease nipple had been fitted to the bearings and bushes the problem would be solved. I have a 56 plate Berlingo 1.9 Enterprise which seems to be ok so far(14500miles). I tried asking about this problem on the forum previously but no one had come across it before. It appeared to only occur to the Partners but possibly now affecting the Berlingos.
Quote: " It appeared to only occur to the Partners but possibly now affecting the Berlingos."
They're the same vehicle! A grease nipple is not hard to fit as an 'extra' although you require w/shop
facilities. Once the axle is stripped down a drilled and tapped hole and a new nipple is all you need.
I think it can also be done with axle in situ if the bearing have been removed.
The Older I get the Better I Was!  Cool
(10-02-2012, 12:55 PM)OlJeffers Wrote:  Quote: " It appeared to only occur to the Partners but possibly now affecting the Berlingos."
They're the same vehicle! A grease nipple is not hard to fit as an 'extra' although you require w/shop
facilities. Once the axle is stripped down a drilled and tapped hole and a new nipple is all you need.
I think it can also be done with axle in situ if the bearing have been removed.

In my original post in June 2011, I asked about this same problem. No one had heard of any vehicles being affected by it. Almost all the Partners at work have experienced this problem but until now I have not heard of any Berlingos having any problems. Maybe a dodgy batch of axles supplied to Puegeot are the problem. Might be axles on certain models are the problem. Just because they are essentially the same vehicle doesnt mean that if one has a problem then so will the other. Slight variations in parts have been used over the years in both Pugs and Citroens hence the reason it might appear to only affect certain vehicles.
Once the bearings in the axle fail, they damage the axle to the extent that it has to be replaced. Simply renewing the bearing does not fix the problem.A grease nipple could be fitted to the new axle at this stage to prevent re-occurence.
Hope this helps.

Dave.
I've just had this problem on my 05 Berlingo. I noticed a little while ago that the van was looking a little knock kneed so thought I'd check it out when the weather improved. Last week the torsion bars snapped. After pulling it all apart at the weekend I fount that the needle bearing on the axle/swing arm had all but disintegrated. The axle the bearing runs on is destroyed by corrosion and and my only option is a new rear axle assembly. Be warned, up until i noticed the wonky wheel the van gave no signs or noises to indicate there was a problem.

Will hopefully be replacing the axle this weekend. Can anyone offer any advice or tips or even better diagrams on how to do this.

Cheers all.
Our 2001 car needs a replacement axle - we're hanging on in there for the moment though!
(24-04-2012, 09:58 AM)TwIstedSpanner Wrote:  I've just had this problem on my 05 Berlingo. I noticed a little while ago that the van was looking a little knock kneed so thought I'd check it out when the weather improved. Last week the torsion bars snapped. After pulling it all apart at the weekend I fount that the needle bearing on the axle/swing arm had all but disintegrated. The axle the bearing runs on is destroyed by corrosion and and my only option is a new rear axle assembly. Be warned, up until i noticed the wonky wheel the van gave no signs or noises to indicate there was a problem.

Will hopefully be replacing the axle this weekend. Can anyone offer any advice or tips or even better diagrams on how to do this.

Cheers all.
Follow this link http://www.berlingoforum.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=12
Download M59 and you should have all the information you need.
2003 Citroën Berlingo 2.0HDi Multispace Desire
Hi Axle Removers - "Haynes says" I will need new hubs on my replacement 2004 HDi MultiS rear axle. This correct?