Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Steering & Suspension] Rear axle replacement
Bicycle inner tube and a footpump will do the trick, don't over pressurise though and keep an eye on the fluid levels.

I've used the above before now and whilst fiddly it does work.
2007 M59 1.6 HDi 

Serieal Berlingo owner  Heart Heart Heart
(31-08-2015, 04:18 PM)darrenchadwick Wrote:  Gents
Got the rear axle on. I'll report on experience soon.
Got a seperate problem now. I'll explain....
After starting the axle removal I had to stop part way through and wait for a long reach torx (for the rear bolts) to come through the post. Vehicle was stood on blocks chocked up for four days with brake pipes disconnected. Got axle off yesterday and fitted new one. Had to replace both rear brake pipes from flexi hose to hubs because they were seized. Now trying to bleed brakes and struggling big time. My neighbour farmer mate has got a stiff leg from all the pumping! So we lowered vehicle on to level ground for fear that air was being sucked into master cylinder from reservoir due to tilt of vehicle. Got a flashing STOP on dash too - probably due to no brakes. Tried a bit longer to bleed brakes but havign problem with rear near side. Tried top find a tutorial for bleeding ABS but struggling here too. Also not sure if van has a load bearing valve...couldnt see one anywhere but not sure what to look for.
Do I need to bleed front brakes as part of an ABS procedure even though theyve not been touched? I think my farmer mate wants van out of his shed now....cant blame him.

I suspect because its a van that there will more than likely be a rear brake load sensing valve.I have one on my 2002 multispace and only found out what that was because when it went in for its MOT i had an advisory saying it was stiff ! the load sensing valve that is Undecided . Its located on top of the rear axle on the offside.Its a small metal box with a lever on one side with a spring connected onto the lever,this tends to dry up and rust and stop working.The spring can be seen if you look into the rear offside wheel arch ,you might have to use a torch,and look above the rear axle,it is " getatable"  but a little awkward grease it well.
My van is '55 plate and doesn't have one. perhaps you don't have ABS Graham ???
2007 M59 1.6 HDi 

(31-08-2015, 05:17 PM)geoff Wrote:  My van is '55 plate and doesn't have one. perhaps you don't have ABS Graham ???

No your quite correct Geoff,i dont have ABS.Didnt think that would make a difference,but i have been known to be wrong ! Dont tell the wife i said that Blush
Gents
The van does not appear to have a brake sensing valve. Having removed the old axle and put on a replacement im sure I would have encountered it. Ive been trying to bleed the brakes in the conventional style ie. keep reservoir topped up, bleed the brake caliper/drum into a jar of fluid till no bubbles etc. Now whether my friend and i have got cheesed off too early I dont know but we've called it a day for now. The reservoir IS going down now AND air and some old gunky fluid coming out of tube on the previously problematic rear nearside but Im not convinced we're onto a winner. Seem to be just getting a mix of bubbles and a bit of fluid. Even tried opening all bleed screws and letting gravity take its course but it barely had any impact. Tried bleeding NSF first then OSR then NSR and this did seem to make some difference but nothing to speak of. I can pump up the brakes rapidly and get something on the pedal briefly but it fades instantly. No fluid leaks are appearing from calipers or drums so I dont think Ive got anything weeping or leaking. One minor (or major) new problem is that the front off side bleed screw is totaly jiggered so I havent been able to open/bleed this at all. I can't open it with anything...even resorted to mole grips to no avail. Only thing I can think of is to take whole caliper off and stick the darned thing in a vice. Anyone got any other suggestions along with brake bleeding advice?
Im tired now and naffed off.
According to Mr Haynes if you have ABS you aint got the load sensing valve on the axle the valve is incorporated in the ABS hydraulic modulator. And it states ensure that the ignition is not turned on before the bleeding process is finished as this can drain the modulator rendering the unit unserviseable. As for the nipple soak it in plusgas overnight and try tightening it a fraction first then undo a fraction but if its stuck fast the little bugger has a tendency to break. If you have a blowtorch with a tight flame you could try a few cycles of heat on it then plusgas but be careful of rubber parts around it. In the end as you are bleeding the brakes it may be just as easy to remove the caliper and work on it in a vice.
AS Geoff says a pressure bleeder is a far better way to get the fluid through and is a whole lot easier I found it cut my swearing down by at least 90%
Are we there yet????? Huh
Ex 1.6hdi van now 3 seater 1.4 multispace
Cheers Tom Cat
Wife is going to pick up an Easybleed tomorrow and a new bleed screw. Im gonna get some heat on the stuck screw and try rapidly cooling it down to crack it out (hillbilly clip on U-tube). Failing this its going in the vice.
Watch this space.
PS. A huge thanks for the info about the valve being in the ABS unit. Should add that I started bleeding the van without any ignition so hopefully modulator will be fine.
Better to get the bleedscrew out first before shopping as you may need to revise the plan and get a replacement brake caliper, I doubt your wife would enjoy a second drive out.
2007 M59 1.6 HDi 

I replaced a rear slave cylinder on my van and it was a right tw@ to bleed, I only managed it with a pressurised bleeding kit. Mine has a load sensing valve which I suspected was the problem as the van was jacked up with the rear wheel off, which may have reduced the flow the the rear brakes. Perhaps the default setting on the ABS is to restrict pressure to the rear, either way a pressurised system should sort it.
Gents
Fitted rear axle eventually. For anyone attempting this project here are the problems I had to overcome:
The long reach T50 torx is not an easy tool to procure. I bought one from a supplier in Kent and had to grind the shaft narrower so that it would slide through the locating hole on the axle. Make sure you have this tool before starting. A lot of the offered T50 torx are 65mm long and these are not long enough so choose carefully. Despite the corrosion on a lot of fixings the only ones that were a swine were the bottom shock absorber bolts. A length of scaffold pipe on the breaker bar was required. One of the hidden bolts (for the T50 torx) started rounding and I had to drill a 30mm hole int he van floor to get to it to stop it spinning. The van is plylined so it didnt matter.
I had two brake pipes to replace between the flex pipe and the drum. Because the van was chocked up on blocks and sleepers for four days (with brake pipes open at the drum) I had bleeding issues when everything was reassembled. Used an Eazibleed to solve it and have to say these kits are worth every penny. I replaced the wheel bearings at the rear too and these had to be pulled off with a puller. It was a good job I had new ones as the old ones fell apart during the pulling process. I did find that when I came to drift on the new bearings one of the stub axles was moving with every hammer blow so I had to get assistance from a mate to hit the other side of the axle as I drifted the bearing on. Once it got past a certain point all went well. When all was finished I found the STOP light on the dash was constantly flashing and the hadnbrake light wouldnt go off. The stop light was found to be due to low water in coolant tank. All I can assume is that it seeped out of reservoir after the van had its backside high up in the air for so many days and also from being lifted with the farm Kramer loading machine which we had to do to drop the vehicle onto the new axle (new axle was on stands). When I had problems bleeding brakes (before the ezibleed kit arrived) I decided to change the rear brake cylinders to make sure they werent weeping even though they appeared dry at the beginning. This allowed me to make a bit more adjustment to the brake shoes and when I got back in drivers seat the handbrake was much tighter and more effective. I obviously hadnt got teh adjustment at the drum right. When I did this the handbrake light went off!
The van is now in for MOT tomorrow so mission accomplished ....hopefully. She sits up nicely now and has good clearance visible at the wheel arches. This '06 2lt HDi didnt have a brake sensing valve (as correctly mentioned in a previous post) so all I can assume is that the problem of bleeding the brakes was due to the van being up in the air for days with the brake pipes open and letting in a lot of air. My suggestion to anyone working on Berlingo brakes is to just get an eazibleed kit before you start. It made life so much easier. You can bleed the brakes single handedly, much quicker and more effectively....and the wife wont have to sit there as you shout "on...off...on....off". Thanks to all who posted advice on the axle replacemen and kept me on the straight and narrow. Berlingo Forum is a life saver!
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to darrenchadwick for this post:
  • ron