Thread Rating:
  • 20 Vote(s) - 1.6 Average
Steering problem 1.9D Forte. Any ideas ???
(24-11-2011, 02:19 PM)OlJeffers Wrote:  
(24-11-2011, 01:25 PM)corkgsxr Wrote:  Coiled spring is the glow plugs

The glow plugs are switched on automatically only if the temperature is low enough that they are required. When they are on the light is also on and when the light goes out then you can start the engine.

Yes I know how they work, but if its on when the engine is running it indicates a relay or more than likely a faulty glow plug
Well. I'm going to replace the left side lower arm. It's only £40 for the complete unit. I'll post back if it sorts it.

If that doesn't then It's time to pull the suspension out, although it rides fine over bumps etc. There is no bearing noise or play.

Out of pure stubbornness (and budget), I refuse to just drop it off at the garage. lol
I have changed both arms / bushes, anti roll bar bushes, drop links and track rod ends. Didnt make a bit of difference! Good luck!
1.9d Mk2 (M59/BE4/5) with battle scars from a conservatory attack. Previously owned a 1.4i Mk2 Forte.Confusedalut:
(24-11-2011, 05:51 PM)corkgsxr Wrote:  Yes I know how they work, but if its on when the engine is running it indicates a relay or more than likely a faulty glow plug

If the light comes on when the engine is running and clearly warmed up then I would be looking at the temperature sensor that switches the relay.
If the sensor is working correctly it would not be possible for glow plugs to switch on unless there has been some dramatic alteration to the wiring.
I don't have a relevant wiring diagram but the indicator light could be either 'side' of the relay. However if the light flashes for an extremely short period
of time (a couple of milliseconds as stated above) then it wouldn't worry me unduly.

"....but if its on when the engine is running it indicates a relay or more than likely a faulty glow plug...."
I don't think so. The relay only receives power when there is a low ambient temperature. The sensor is just an in-line thermostat or thermistor which when the temperature is high enough doesn't conduct. Therefore there'll be no power to the primary side of the relay.
The Older I get the Better I Was!  Cool
It prob isn't the glow plugs turned on. A lot of manufacturer's use the glow plug light to indicate a fault with the system as well as showing that its turned on
(23-11-2011, 07:59 PM)tedmagnum Wrote:  hey all..

I'm still trying to work out a steering problem with my 2001 Berlingo. I bought this van cheap a few weeks ago and only noticed the problem on the way home (didn't have insurance for a proper test drive).

Well, it's most apparent when taking left hand bends/corners. The car will turn in ok but there is a wobble and the steering wheel is fighting to straighten up. Something is definitely not right..It feels very unsafe. It feels fine at low speeds though.

I have changed both ball joints, anti-roll bar links and track rod ends and the problem is still there.

Everything looks straight and tight under there. There is no problem when driving in a straight line.

The suspension isn't sagging and seems to work well. The tyres are the correct pressure and feel balanced.

Any ideas ???

Also, can anyone tell me what the all the dashboard warning lights are ??? I don't have an owners manual and they're not in the Haynes.

It's a 2001 Multispace 1.9D Forte.

Thanks, Ed

Hi did you find a fix for this? Mine has the same problem and it really is pretty severe.
Well, I changed everything and had it checked over by a garage and they couldn't find anything wrong with it.

The problem is still there. It's actually terrifying at times but there apparently is still nothing wrong..

Nature of the beast perhaps ???
mine does this too!!!

When I bought it thought it was a major defect! Like yourself changed all of the above etc....

Has passed 3 MOT' s since then, but the "problem" remains....

Is only when turning left though....

Not found a solution, nothing has broken/failed and had almost forgotten about it until the revision of this thread??

I have no answers... but you are not alone!!Smile[/i]

Adam..2003..1.9D..LX..Silver Crew Cab Van.....
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.
Mine also sailed through the MOT two weeks ago. It still feels like the wheels are going to fall off around the bends....

The only thing I can think of is to uprate the suspension but it's just not worth the cost for me..

Nature of the beast.........
Hi Ted , only just found this so sorry if its already been covered but is this another form of " pulsing around corners " that I've read about on here or shall I get my coat Confusedillyme: