Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stop/ Start Battery
Hi Folks
Can I use a normal battery charger, to charge my stop/ start battery ? (someone told me that a special charger is needed)
 I can find a + terminal on battery, but cannot find a - one, have never seen a battery that looks like it before. Can I use the chassis as negative connection?
Partner 1.6 blue hdi Automatic 16 plate.
I am confused
yes you can use the chassis as a neg connection. I think you have to as the negative terminal is buried under the engine somewhere.

There have been questions about this topic on the forum and IIRC you can use a normal charger. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong. Huh

There are electronic controlled ones that Aldi and lidl used to sell which are cheap and did the job.
You can use a normal battery charger on trickle charge they say take the battery off so i bit the bullet put the battery charger on trickle charge with the battery still on the car done it about five time's now all still OK as brodfather said you can get smart battery charger's from Lidl or Aldi for about £13.00 HTH.
                                     Smile  It's too orangey for crow's It's just for me and my dog  Smile

Heart Heart Love a lot trust a few  Dodgy

(16-04-2016, 04:53 PM)Jed Clampit Wrote:  You can use a normal battery charger on trickle charge they say take the battery off so i bit the bullet put the battery charger on trickle charge with the battery still on the car done it about five time's now all still OK as brodfather said you can get smart battery charger's from Lidl or Aldi for about £13.00 HTH.

Thank you both for replies and info I will look out for smart  charger in Aldi & Lidl. I assume it MUST be classed as a Smart charger ?
Handbook says battery does NOT need to be disconnected.  Do you know what amperage to charge at ?
In the my hand book just looked it states to charge the battery using a battery charger disconnect the battery .
                                     Smile  It's too orangey for crow's It's just for me and my dog  Smile

Heart Heart Love a lot trust a few  Dodgy

On the inner panel (flitch plate) of the L/H wheel arch there is a round metal "button".I put the negative charger terminal on this.Haven't blown it up yet.
Strawberry flavoured windows  Dodgy
(16-04-2016, 07:05 PM)Jed Clampit Wrote:  In the my hand book just looked it states to charge the battery using a battery charger disconnect the battery .

Thanks Jed. My handbook says Stop & start  battery does not have to be disconnected for charging.
You must have a different battery
(16-04-2016, 08:36 PM)ron Wrote:  On the inner panel (flitch plate) of the L/H wheel arch there is a round metal "button".I put the negative charger terminal on this.Haven't blown it up yet.

Thanks Ron, I wondered  what that button was for.  I will use it as negative
I'm having a similar discussion to this one on another forum.

On our new family car, Mokka, it's also a start/stop. It has an AGM/VRLA battery.

AGM batteries are a but more sensitive to charging voltage. The user manual states the charger should ideally be an AGM charger but either way the charging voltage must NOT go above 14.6V.

I have a CTEK smart charger which is designed for Normal batteries but has an AGM option but the voltage is too high.
CTEK do a specific Start/Stop charger designed to charge the start/stop batteries on the vehicle.

Citroen  always say to remove the battery to charge it. I always charge it on the vehicle and it's done no harm. In fact CTEK guarantee in their instructions that it will  not damage the vehicle if the battery is charged ins situ.

I don't know how it will affect the AGM battery using a normal Lead acid designed charger?

I'm trying to find out a bit more before I use my current charger or buy a specific start/stop charger.

AGM batteries are upto double the price of normal batteries. All I can say is tread carefully.