Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Storage bin on dashboard top
Has anyone removed the complete bin with lid on mk3?
I've had a look inside and can see only one screw in the base, I would think its secured by more than just the one screw.
Several people have talked about putting a live socket in there for sat nav, mobile charging etc but I'm not sure how to remove bin to access cable feed.
Thanks in anticipation.
ive just taken mine of looking for a rattle. pull the top of grey speedo shroud towards you and it will unclip, two screws there and one at the bottom. the bottom of bin there two bits that clip out, wiggling side to side should pop them out like mine did then just give it a wiggle and tug at the same time and it will come out, its very easy. didn't find the rattle though
[-] The following 3 users say Thank You to finny for this post:
  • Andre, dellwood333, Tonyash
Thanks Finny, much appreciated, will have a crack at this in the very near future.
Tony
Hi there I tried taking out the bin yesterday and it didn't want go?

I got the screws under the grey cover of the speedo and the screw inside the bin.

I got it free from the clip inbetween the 2 screws at the speedo, but there seems to be three clips at the opposite end from the speedo where it meets the main dash behind the bin itself. I tried all sorts of wiggling up and towards me but the thing refuses to come?

Any ideas?
lift the left side up a bit, that bit moved easy then give it a good wiggle. if you look in the bottom the circle shape bit pops out and the bit under the hinges with the two clips also pulls out, I didn't realise until I gave it a good pull, its just stuck on them

this might help, as you wiggle lift and pull the bit closest to you, as you will see when you refit it, it goes in that way
(23-09-2013, 06:43 PM)finny Wrote:  lift the left side up a bit, that bit moved easy then give it a good wiggle. if you look in the bottom the circle shape bit pops out and the bit under the hinges with the two clips also pulls out, I didn't realise until I gave it a good pull, its just stuck on them

this might help, as you wiggle lift and pull the bit closest to you, as you will see when you refit it, it goes in that way

I can get the circle shaped bit out easy enough. I think I would have more success with the bit under the hinge. Unfortunately that didn't want to come out either. What 2 clips do you mean? There are 2 at the top that I tried pushing and then pulling. Also 2 at the side which I tried pushing.

I managed to get a screwdriver in at the top of it but again I didn't want to break anything.
i couldn't get that bit under the hinge out until it popped out when i was pulling the whole thing out, if i remember the clips need pushing inwards but just give it a right good wiggle and pull it will come, i found the left side of the whole thing lifted out a bit then i gave it the wiggle