Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.75 Average
Strange pump in the engine bay!
Hello all

Im new to the forum and hoping someone can help. I just bought my first berlingo 2004 with the 1.9D DW engine. Its been around the block a few times at 135K.

I have been looking over things today as i have no service history and its been running a bit underpowered and lumpy when the fuel in the tank is low. I noticed i have some kind of aftermarket pump in the engine bay where the fuel line comes inti the bay before it heads to the fuel filter. It also has a new wire running to the fuse box. Could this be something to do with the issue?

Cheers Smile
Picture?
Peugeot Partner 2.0hdi • Ford Focus RS • Porsche 944 • BMW 120d
[Image: Berlingofuelpump.jpg]

Any Clues?
Is that instead of a priming bulb?
Confusedcratch:
It still has the priming bulb beside the fuel filter. This part pictured above looks aftermarket and new. It has been added for some reason. I thought it may be because an in tank fuel pump had gone but from my reading this van does not have one in the tank. I can hear it pumping almost like a vibrating noise when i turm the ignition on.
Low pressure lift pump probably to replace one that stopped working ?
So where does this bit go then ?
(29-03-2013, 08:26 PM)ffrenchie Wrote:  Low pressure lift pump probably to replace one that stopped working ?

It is a low pressure pump like an old fuel pump for a carburetor. I just need to work out why it is there and why the van feels so lumpy and underpower when it hads a low tank. Is it something to do with this addition?
It looks like a fuel cut off valve.I used to fit them years ago.
There should be an aftermarket switch in the cab.It may be hidden'I hid the ones I did.
Strawberry flavoured windows  Dodgy
(29-03-2013, 09:15 PM)ron Wrote:  It looks like a fuel cut off valve.I used to fit them years ago.
There should be an aftermarket switch in the cab.It may be hidden'I hid the ones I did.

It has "Electronic fuel pump" on the unit.

When i put the ingnition on it vibrates and you can hear fluid flow and a trickle noise like the fuel filter filling up.
The vibration is the pump pumping. It may not be efficient enough to keep the filter full and when the tank is full gravity is helping but when low there is not enough of a head. Some solenoid pumps cut out when there is resistance and then have to catch up but what you need is one that keeps going and any excess fuel is returned to the tank instead of ups and downs of pressure.
So where does this bit go then ?