Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 2.45 Average
Sump - gasket or sealer
Hi,

Wondering if anyone could help me?! I've got a 2001 1.9 diseal and I've got an oil leak comin from my sump so when I do an oil change I'm going to take my sump off. Does anyone know Whether the sump has a gasket or will I have to use some sealer?
(05-05-2012, 03:06 PM)Rbridge Wrote:  Hi,

Wondering if anyone could help me?! I've got a 2001 1.9 diseal and I've got an oil leak comin from my sump so when I do an oil change I'm going to take my sump off. Does anyone know Whether the sump has a gasket or will I have to use some sealer?

|Haynes says that when removing and fitting sump clean off old sealant, apply new sealant (1.9 & 2.0 DW series). so I think there is no gasket, seems a common trend for engine manufacturers now.
On the Xud series there seems to be a gasket, Haynes say "if fitted fit a new one". Otherwise if not seal it. :whistle:
Apply it in one hit, one bead -you dont want any wisps of it circulating around in the oil
I had a wrecked motorcycle gearbox to contend with once because the previous goon had overdone it with the silicone
It is on my to do list.
But not right at the top

2012 Hdi75 van
Get the engine number and ring the dealer, they must surely know for sure. Don't want to be dropping the sump then find out you need a gasket....
Berlingo Multispace 2.0HDI '54 reg Mediterranean Blue
Thanks for all the replys i had a feeling it was silicone. I'll speak to the dealer and find out for sure.

Cheers all
Another tip, probably "teaching granny" but best done with the engine completely cold and don't tighten the pins fully until the slicon has gone off a bit otherwise it has a habit of squeezing out into places where it is not wanted and not making a proper seal where it is supposed to....
Berlingo Multispace 2.0HDI '54 reg Mediterranean Blue
Main dealer parts said no gasket for mine, 2.0 and tried to sell me some very expensive sealant.

Used this in the end and did a fine job.

http://www.abro.com/products/automotive/...roduct=180
Thanks for the advise.... I'll pick up some silicone!
I know this thread was well over a year ago but completely forgot about this thread. I thought I'd update, it in fact the van is fitting with an incorrect air intake manifold causing it to push down on a pipe which is then in turn leaking a bit of oil. Thanks for all the replays
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Rbridge for this post:
  • adam3rdcanvey