Thread Rating:
  • 27 Vote(s) - 2.67 Average
Supermarket Diesel
What is the general concencus of opinion about supermarket diesel?

Are any supermarkets or brands to be particularly avoided or notorious for giving problems ????

So far I have used fuel from both Sainsbury's and Tesco in my new (To me) '54 reg 2.0 hdi

I would welcome other subscribers ideas and opinions on the subject
Berlingo Multispace 2.0HDI '54 reg Mediterranean Blue
I havnt had problem in my berlingo but my girlfriends seat has had the engine light come on from dodgy unleaded at waitrose, our asda hasn't given any problems for her though, I try to use shell as it is the same price as our supermarkets luckily

Lliam
Lliam

53 plate Berlingo Multispace Forte 1.9D Polar White
The nearest to me are Shell and Sainsbury's and they are identical in price so I prefer to use Shell given the choice (unless I have got one of Sainsbury's 5p/litre discount vouchers!) I will try to find the source, but I have read some research showing that supermarket fuel was somewhat lower in quality. I think that whether any of this might have any negative effects, probably depends on what you are using it in. A modern, common rail direct injection diesel engine is likely to be more sensitive to lower quality fuel. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a fair amount of scaremongering from the big brands.
2005 Berlingo Multispace 1.6i Desire (Iron Grey)

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Supermarket diesel has no additives. Shell etc, tanker drivers add the additives during loading which explains the difference despite it all coming from the same depot. I suppose over a large mileage, maybe 100k, its possible using the branded fuel could mean you won't need new injectors, but who knows? The Citroen warranty states you cannot put any additives in the diesel like Forte etc, which is supposed to keep the injectors clean.

I find it suprising that despite the yrs that fuel additives, that is the stuff you put in yourself, have been available that there is no definitive info on whether they do actually work. The 'trade' opinion is that Forte is the best.

Some believe that adding a small amount of 2 stroke oil to the diesel is beneficial. Google '2 stroke oil in diesel' loads of info.
Quote:Some believe that adding a small amount of 2 stroke oil to the diesel is beneficial.

There was a thread on http://www.berlingo.org about that subject but only speculation about whether there was any merit to the practice.
2010 Berlingo Multispace HDi 110 with FAP.  Persamos green.

I have tried the expensive diesel in mine a few times and havent noticed any real differance in mpg or performance. So is it all hype?
I also use shell most fills as same or cheaper than supermarkets. but in North Wales its all bloody expensive, cheapest at moment is 120.9p a ltr.
IN fact lets poll ...cheapest diesel/ petrol in country
Pete
Diesel is 120.9 for me too (both Shell and Sainsburys in W. Kent)

In fact Sainsburys are charging the same for regular diesel as they are for Super Unleaded!
2005 Berlingo Multispace 1.6i Desire (Iron Grey)

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Asda in shoebury 119.9
Shell in southend 119.9 / 124.9 for v fuel
Waitrose in southend 118.9

I normally use shell anyway as normally this does last longer for me, v fuel (although getting less) when I put £10 in it lasted me just as well as £10 fuelsave diesel
Lliam

53 plate Berlingo Multispace Forte 1.9D Polar White
I always get my Diesel from Sainsburys, it's the nearest to me & the cheapest, £1 .14 at the moment, the next nearest is a Shell garage, they are charging £1 .20, so that's roughly another 30p a gallon !
Cheaper than bottled water though.   Huh
Mk1, 1.9D, Admiral Blue, 51 Plate.
Just realised how old this thread is, fuel seems to be about the same price as it was 7 years ago !
Mk1, 1.9D, Admiral Blue, 51 Plate.