Thread Rating:
  • 13 Vote(s) - 3.69 Average
Tax disc-is this right?
When I bought the Berlingo, i had 6 months tax left on my old car so took the disc out when I swapped over. The car dealer came storming over & demanded it... saying that he couldn't store my car without it. Peed me off actually because he hadn't mentioned it before- & his mate had been telling us that they loved it when someone left a tax disc on because it was like a bonus! Is this right or do I have to send the girls round? :wave:
2001 Silver Multispace 1.9D

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you ever tried!
Sounds a bit odd unless he is going to be storing it on the road. If it wasn't part of the deal, I'd be peed off too, as it is basically like leaving £100 in ten pound notes in the glove box
2005 Berlingo Multispace 1.6i Desire (Iron Grey)

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

I'm guessing this trader has his own premises, in which case he can store the car off public land without tax; if he is claiming that is the reason why he can't keep it with no tax. But ignore all that, if it wasn't part of the original deal (with tax), and i was in your shoes, i'd tell him to do one. It's his problem.
Want Help with the Forum? Read Help Documents Here

I know... it was one of those situations where he got me off guard. I'd just been on the phone to insure the new one so my ears were still ringing. He actually got me to get it out of my bag & accused me (in a faux jokey way) of "raping the car I'd just part-exed! By that he means I took my radio out... there was supposed to be one included with the Berli but he "hasn't got one at the moment" so I took my CD player out! But I felt very uncomfortable about giving him the tax disc.

It is naughty, but then he was probably assuming that your p/ex was coming with the stereo that was there, so perhaps it's quits? It is not really worth falling out over, just in case you need to go back and get any problems fixed in the next three months.

Yes Chris you have a point re the warranty, although I did say to him that he could have the CD player if he got me the radio cassette player that was included in the spec sheet for the Berlingo.

Hopefully you won't need to go back there Big Grin

He would expect to receive your car as he saw it when you agreed the deal. If it had tax and a stereo at that time he would be expecting it when you traded in, unless you stated clearly to the contrary. By the same token, if the one you were buying was supposed to come with a stereo, you would expect it to be fitted and working when you collected the car.

[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Coco for this post:
  • ThoraB
Its usual to remove tax disc when you trade in car. If the dealers wants to drive it on road, ie test drive for customer they use trade plates.
Hmmm, when I traded in my Jag, I raped it big time, cd multichanger, handbook, rear headrests, jack.

He was a little less than honest on a couple of issues, payback is a bitch.

I sold that little lot for over £250 Big Grin
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.