Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 2.75 Average
1.4 petrol hesitating
Well, Yesterday the car got worse and had to abandoned at my place of work. So I fitted new Spark Plugs and had previously put a container of fuel cleaner through the system. I then checked the resistance of the injectors and they all read between 13.6 ohms and 14.4 ohms. Checking the HT coil pack, I could not get any readings between the four input pins and the HT output, but I do not know if this is the right way of checking this type of coil.

One of my next checks will be fuel pressure, as I need to borrow a gauge.

The car still starts and tickover is nice and smooth, the problem is only when you try and put your foot down to pull away, this is when it just dies, I had to be very gentle on the accelerator and hope I avoided any steep hills.
You don't normally get a continuity reading on the coil pack. Lexia shows the coil saturation times for each pair; this is what gives away most failed ones.

See also Gadgetman's posts where he eventually found his paralytic converter was blocked badly.
(09-07-2013, 12:16 PM)addo Wrote:  See also Gadgetman's posts where he eventually found his paralytic converter was blocked badly.

Do you have a link to this thread
Update. Today I removed the fuel tank and found that the filter on the fuel pump was all blocked up, so removed it and clean with air line, this has now been refitted, fuel tank cleaned out and just drove 40 miles with no problem, time will see if this has cured the problem. I will be doing around 3-400 miles this weekend, so this should proved if this was the problem. Will let you know how I get on.
This blocked fuel filter in fuel tank was the cause of my problems, as I have now covered nearly 500 miles with no running problems at all.
[-] The following 3 users say Thank You to Barry for this post:
  • addo, Ol'Jeffers, polar
Always the simple things!!
My Mk.I Cortina GT suffered this fault (1967!) . It was discovered when I connected a plastic tube to
the fuel line and couldn't blow down it! So I blew the tank filter off with an air line! Worked fine after that!!
The Older I get the Better I Was!  Cool