Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 2.88 Average
The very basics
Thus far, I'm really pleased with this car but I need to know how to look after it properly. If I am brutally honest, right now I wouldn't know how to get the wheel off from under the car, which kind of diesel oil to use, car jack? wheel brace? I have neither. Where dipstick is located etc, basic do's & don'ts to keep it happy. Rather than ask each thing individually, is there anything online that I could read up on? No manual came with the car but I'm guessing I could find one to download somewhere. The other thing is that I know the cam belt will need replacing this year, my mot garage checked it out... that's why I got some knocked off the price. But how do I know when?! I'd be grateful for advice as i do not want to end up ruining my car by neglecting some basic thing! Cheers Confusedtudy:
2001 Silver Multispace 1.9D

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you ever tried!
(28-01-2012, 10:25 AM)ThoraB Wrote:  Thus far, I'm really pleased with this car but I need to know how to look after it properly. If I am brutally honest, right now I wouldn't know how to get the wheel off from under the car, which kind of diesel oil to use, car jack? wheel brace? I have neither. Where dipstick is located etc, basic do's & don'ts to keep it happy. Rather than ask each thing individually, is there anything online that I could read up on? No manual came with the car but I'm guessing I could find one to download somewhere. The other thing is that I know the cam belt will need replacing this year, my mot garage checked it out... that's why I got some knocked off the price. But how do I know when?! I'd be grateful for advice as i do not want to end up ruining my car by neglecting some basic thing! Cheers Confusedtudy:

Have you looked under the drivers seat to see if the handbook is there? I have not yet seen any online, but the people here may be able to help you there.
I would think that a dealer could get you one but it would be expensive I guess, otherwise there are some on eBay for your model.

As for the cam belt if you know it needs doing soon I would do it ASAP. I believe the dealers will charge around £300 to replace it but thats got to be cheaper than replacing the broken engine parts! Sorry to sound negative.

[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Trevor for this post:
  • ThoraB
Hi ThoraB! Glad you (and your dog) are happy with your new acquisition!
As suggested above get your local repairer to change the cam belt asap. It's just being prudent to do it right away.
Where things are on the vehicle:
Dipstick: Has an orange top which is round and its fairly centrally located on the engine.
Jack and Wheelbrace: In the driver's side cubby at the rear of the boot space. Has a plastic cover with a couple of
plastic buttons which turn anti-clockwise to release the cover.
Windscreen washer fluid: Under the bonnet on the left. Blue cap.
Get a tyre dealer to check the spare and you'll then see how to get to it. I'd have the spare checked as a matter of
course having just bought the car. If it's there it needs to be legal and the correct size. When I bought mine there was
a tatty 14" spare when the rest of the wheels on the car were 15"!!
Info like correct oil for the 1.9d I'm sure will be given by some of our 1.9 owners here.
Have you found the pull-out drawer under either the passenger's seat or the driver's seat (assuming the 2001 model had it fitted...)?
The Older I get the Better I Was!  Cool
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Ol'Jeffers for this post:
  • ThoraB
Thanks you two. Ooh- a pull out drawer!! I do hope so... I'm going to go & check after I've written this- also for the wheel brace etc. I do have the 2 under-floor little cubby holes behind both front seats which I was over-excited by! Big Grin I found out how to drop the tyre but need a wheel brace with the correct sized endy-bit in order to give that a go. cheers for that.

ThoraB - Here is a link that may be of help.
2010 Berlingo Multispace HDi 110 with FAP.  Persamos green.

[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to 3rensho for this post:
  • ThoraB
For the 1.9 diesel, semi synthetic diesel oil 15W40 is ok. Buy in Halfords or anywhere. Cambelt change interval is 80k miles or 8yrs whichever first. I suggest you get that done asap.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Opensauce for this post:
  • ThoraB
Asda are currently selling Castrol GTX for £10 for 4 litres.

The jack should be hidden in the right hand side of the boot behind the panel along with the brace.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to tucker for this post:
  • ThoraB
Now is the time to build on your relationship with your local repairer , you were guided by his advice so he'll be chuffed you're spendin your hard earned with him :thumbsup:
Belt has to be changed , sooner rather than later , why risk a potentially
open ended bill for the sake of 1 to 2 hrs labour plus £30 belt , even if belt kit £70 then still only £ 150 .
Oh dear , can of worms Rolleyes is this a change water pump while u can get at it engine ?
Someone technical will be along in a while to advise Confusedalut:

Some very sound advice from everyone, cheers, I appreciate it.
Ooh 'eck- nil by mouth... this here water pump business doesn't sound great! I reckon this year may be quite expensive but worth it if it gets the car up to scratch. I would have had to spend a fair bit to get my old car through an MOT anyway.

It annoys me that i didn't learn about cars in my youth, nobody around me had an interest in them. I'm finding this forum very valuable indeed. :thumbsup:

The timing (cam) belt kit should include a replacement water pump. ('Bout £85 the lot!)
Pump on it's own less than £30. So not too bad.
The Older I get the Better I Was!  Cool