Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thermostatic Cold Start Waxstat
Anyone know anywhere cheap for the thermostatic waxstat for pre-facelift 1.9D (Lucas pump) and what sort of price they are?

Or is there no problem with just turning up the idle.

I'm a bit confused whether the waxstat just increases the idle or whether mixture is enriched as well - I've found a load of (contradictory) guesses but no definitive answer on that question.
Mar 2002 Berlingo Multispace Forte 1.9D 166,000 miles
Hi there,

had to replace mine a couple or three years ago and the cheapest was the main dealer here in Crewe (Grenson). It was around £28 and a few pence. Set it up to the Haynes manual and it's been fine since.

Don't know if it just lifts idle speed plus increases mixture, sorry.

Hope this is of some help.
Smile it's already happened! Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to trader97 for this post:
  • ddb
I was under the impression that it just increases idle, but would need to double check that and it's dark outside!
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to davehills for this post:
  • ddb
On the early Berlingo/Partners (XUDs) the fast idle thermostatic Sensor (!) raised the idle speed when cold , it also provided an earth for the advance /retard solenoid on the injection pump to aid starting. . When cold it allowed the switch (mounted at the pump end of the cable) to earth the solenoid so that when the sensor sensed heat the wire moved and then broke the contact and the solenoid went back to normal run position. A good idea but the contacts in the switch were of a coppery alloy which soon carbonised/corroded and stopped providing an earth. It made starting harder and when it did start it was all chuggy and white smokey.  I think it was changed while in production for a different setup which didn't cause trouble.  
That was the problem I had with a r reg Partner, once the contacts were cleaned it started first turn and ran sweet as a nut from cold.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to brodfather11 for this post:
  • ddb
Thanks all, £28 isn't too bad, I saw someone saying £80 which was getting me worried.

I'm used to petrol and just realised that on a diesel making it "richer" is the same as increasing speed as there isn't a throttle, speed is controlled by fuel. So I guess I should amend my question to ask if waxstat alters pump timing - I'm just a bit confused why there are two separate arms on the pump - the accelerator and stop arms, the stop arm is moved by the waxstat to control idle.

I think I'd prefer the XUD engine over the DW8, too many cables hanging around. My other cars have no computers.
Hi there, I've managed to find the invoice for the part and the part number was 164762 and the description is Idle Control and Price was £28.26 after VAT. I was a bit out on when I bought it as it turns out it was April 2011 so I expect the price may have risen a little. I wouldn't think anywhere near £80 though.
Smile it's already happened! Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to trader97 for this post:
  • ddb
(19-02-2015, 08:40 AM)trader97 Wrote:  Hi there, I've managed to find the invoice for the part and the part number was 164762 and the description is Idle Control and Price was £28.26 after VAT. I was a bit out on when I bought it as it turns out it was April 2011 so I expect the price may have risen a little. I wouldn't think anywhere near £80 though.

Currently on eBay for £30.87 inc postage   same part number   

eBay  321225717196
2007 M59 1.6 HDi 

Serieal Berlingo owner  Heart Heart Heart
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to geoff for this post:
  • ddb
Thanks for that Trader & Geoff, I'm a bit worried, that part is not listed for MFWJYB like mine, it is listed for MFDJY, MBDJY, MFWJZ, MBWJZ, MFRHY and MFA9A.

There is a similar item 1647.53 but that isn't listed for mine either.

Thanks for the pointer, it gives me something to work from at least.
Ask at a main dealer if this is the correct part number, simples. I do this sort of thing all the time.
2007 M59 1.6 HDi 

Serieal Berlingo owner  Heart Heart Heart
Ta Geoff, I'll do that once I check the engine is the original. I'll phone a random dealer at far end of country because I've never had much luck with the local ones on previous cars.

I get looked down on when I turn up in my oilies, phoned them the other day for a work quote and got told they don't repair cars that old???? Used to have the same attitude from a Volvo main dealer. I don't get any of that attitude from Porsche dealers even when I'm leaving a trail of oily/muddy footprints across their pristine floor and looking to buy a 17p item.