Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Torque on wheel nuts?
It's time to switch to winter tires again... 
(Actually, it has been legal to do so here for over two weeks, but this morning was the first with frost and even a thin layer of ice on the road)

So, does anyone know how much to tighten the durn things?
(Mine's an old Mk. I with steel rims)
According to Haynes its 90Nm or 66lbf ft. I always check them after 50 miles just to make sure their still tight.
Are we there yet????? Huh
Ex 1.6hdi van now 3 seater 1.4 multispace
As a rule of the thumb i always do mine - steel @ 100 ft lbs and alloy at 70 ft lbs.Whenever they are done for me which isnt very often but new tyre's etc the garages seem to set their air wrenches to max,i went to help an elderly chap back along only to find that after breaking 2 x wheel nut spanners i had to use a 3 feet piece of scaffolding on a breaker bar and i stood on the end and bounced before the nut came off and i'm 17 stone.!
Tighten until they strip the thread then back off half-a-turn !!!!!  Rolleyes Rolleyes Rolleyes
Berlingo Multispace 2.0HDI '54 reg Mediterranean Blue
I just go by feel, have spent so many years putting specified torque to fasteners and engines etc that I don't need a torque wrench. I even got tested for accuracy once for a £20 bet in work and the money went in my pocket.

The main thing to do is carry a breaker bar and correct socket to make sure you can undo the nuts when you get a puncture
2007 M59 1.6 HDi 

Serieal Berlingo owner  Heart Heart Heart
I agree with Tomcat3... I have alloys on my B9 and do the wheelnuts to 90Nm. I tighten the anti-theft "locking" nut on each wheel to a lower torque of 70Nm. This is because you can damage the pins on the special wheelnut "key" if you overtighten them.
(18-11-2015, 11:52 PM)CourierJim Wrote:  I agree with Tomcat3... I have alloys on my B9 and do the wheelnuts to 90Nm. I tighten the anti-theft "locking" nut on each wheel to a lower torque of 70Nm. This is because you can damage the pins on the special wheelnut "key" if you overtighten them.
Excellent information, thanks.

I recently acquired a B9 with alloys, and I could barely move the nuts as I guess they had been over-tightened at a tyre centre.

Was anxious about checking mine after a mate said that on his Peugeot 2008 he had to get a locking wheel nut drilled off because it had been over tightened and the pins broke on the locking nut.  I was worried in case Citroen locking nuts may be similar.

Luckily I have been able to move all nuts on all wheels on my B9, so I will use your settings.

Many thanks.

Vivian
Then: M49 Forte  Heart
Now: B9 XTR  Big Grin