Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Torsion bar rust
Hi all. Do I need to be worried about rust on the torsion bars of my MSpace, see pic? Noticed it when took spare wheel out. Would a rub down (oh err) and a splash of hameritte be enough?

My course of action,after a good rub down,would be 2 or 3 liberal coats of Waxoyl.(Sorry,Jed:whistleSmile.Agood dose followed by reapplying as necc is the way to go.:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Strawberry flavoured windows  Dodgy
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to ron for this post:
  • adam3rdcanvey
Got to agree with ron on this one rub down and waxoyl Confusedalut:
                                     Smile  It's too orangey for crow's It's just for me and my dog  Smile

Heart Heart Love a lot trust a few  Dodgy

[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Jed Clampit for this post:
  • RolyG
Ta guys.
What would the outcome be if nothing was done? How long till rust causes suspension problems? I only say this as I would not have noticed it if i hadn't taken spare wheel out. Mind you Bingo is 11 years yong now.
(21-03-2014, 11:28 PM)Modmytop Wrote:  Ta guys.
What would the outcome be if nothing was done? How long till rust causes suspension problems? I only say this as I would not have noticed it if i hadn't taken spare wheel out. Mind you Bingo is 11 years yong now.

A long time torsion bar will out live the berlingo with out the waxoyl but it would play on my mind so putting waxoyl on would give me peace of mind
                                     Smile  It's too orangey for crow's It's just for me and my dog  Smile

Heart Heart Love a lot trust a few  Dodgy

As a forum member,how can you possibly think of not doing it? 11 years of faithful service & you will let it rust? A pox on you sir,you are a cad & a bounder.Rolleyes:wave::whistle:
Strawberry flavoured windows  Dodgy
(22-03-2014, 08:30 PM)ron Wrote:  

As a forum member,how can you possibly think of not doing it? 11 years of faithful service & you will let it rust? A pox on you sir,you are a cad & a bounder.Rolleyes:wave::whistle:
Steady on Ron.
I didn't say I wasn't going to do anything about it did I? I asked what would have happened if I hadn't noticed it. I was asking for the sake of other forum members. That is, is this something we should look out for. I intended to paint with hammerite, but as this is a torsion bar, and hence twists in use I was concerned that said paint may crack and come off again.
Oh and BTW while I love the old girl (the Bingo), there have been plenty of problems over the 11 years, so not quite as faithful service as it could have been.
It looks worse because the plastic coat is peeling and flaking off. It's the luck of the draw as some last forever and some break but any maintenance will help the appearance and while you are doing it you will notice any problems before they develop. Paint it or oil it after you clean it, it's your choice which you prefer the look of.
So where does this bit go then ?
Coated mine in ACF50 along with 90% of the underside
2004 1.9D Multispace/Budget crew cab work van!
(23-03-2014, 02:47 PM)chronyx Wrote:  Coated mine in ACF50 along with 90% of the underside

I remember spraying an old car leaf springs with used engine oil mixed with paraffin stoped all the sqeaks haha.