Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Transmission] C.V. Boots
Hi all,
              anyone had trouble getting cv boot kit for a 2001 1.9d dw8 berlingo ?

I noticed my nearside boot was throwing out grease , not long started as there wasn't a lot.

Got one ordered online and started to replace it.   As I got the shaft off the hub I noticed the clip had corroded and had broke at the cv joint

Ah well as I had a new one I just thought might as well fit the new one so cut the old one off. Dodgy

The new one fitted on to the driveshaft OK but was far too large for the cv joint .    Hmmmmm ?. Dia of cv joint 80mm, boot dia was 86 or 88mm

Found a local supplier who said yes I have one, a universal one which is made of  stretchy rubbery stuff  so got one  but guess what , still too large for the cv joint end.  It stretches but doesn't shrink to the 80mm   Angry

Now it seems it that the only one which is near the size is for a 1.4 petrol berlingo.  Huh

Anyone with a part no or clue where to get the right one ?
(19-11-2015, 10:19 PM)brodfather11 Wrote:  Hi all,
              anyone had trouble getting cv boot kit for a 2001 1.9d dw8 berlingo ?

I noticed my nearside boot was throwing out grease , not long started as there wasn't a lot.

Got one ordered online and started to replace it.   As I got the shaft off the hub I noticed the clip had corroded and had broke at the cv joint

Ah well as I had a new one I just thought might as well fit the new one so cut the old one off. Dodgy

The new one fitted on to the driveshaft OK but was far too large for the cv joint .    Hmmmmm ?. Dia of cv joint 80mm, boot dia was 86 or 88mm

Found a local supplier who said yes I have one, a universal one which is made of  stretchy rubbery stuff  so got one  but guess what , still too large for the cv joint end.  It stretches but doesn't shrink to the 80mm   Angry

Now it seems it that the only one which is near the size is for a 1.4 petrol berlingo.  Huh

I used a heavy gauge tie wrap.Never had a problem with them.
Strawberry flavoured windows  Dodgy
I normally use tie wraps but never seen a metal one corrode before . Shows it must have been an original.
(19-11-2015, 10:19 PM)brodfather11 Wrote:   Now it seems it that the only one which is near the size is for a 1.4 petrol berlingo.  Huh

VIN of car  to my PM
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to pk7478 for this post:
  • brodfather11
The universal one has *steps* of different diameters at the CV end. Just cut off the larger sizes until you have the correct size.
I have found one, its for a citron xsara. , right dimensions anyway.  Big Grin  Will wait until the snow stops before fitting . Dodgy

The " universal " one  supplied wasn't really a universal one ,  instead of being made of hard plastic type stuff like the original ,  it was rubbery and more flexible , there was nowhere to cut any off and still work.
It should have looked like this

[Image: cvstretch-regpic.jpg]

And they are more supple
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Col for this post:
  • brodfather11
Hm...

I thought the outer diameter was either 81 or 82mm depending on whether or not it had ABS?
(Had to replace one a while ago because it had cracked.)

Remember to clean out the C-V joint properly before adding new grease and closing down the new boot.