Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
[Transmission] Clutch cable and g /box mounting issues ?
Hi all , i changed my clutch on my 2.0hdi mk2 over last weekend and have a couple of issues ?. Firstly the clutch pedal is about 2"" too high and i have a clonk from what appears to be the g/box mounting . The cable was new three weeks ago and although the gears change fine the pedal is vey high compared to the brake pedal . I have been told that this should be reset as its automatic and if so is this easy enough to do ?. The gearbox mounting does not appear to be rotted out but the steel centre core which goes over the mounting bolt is separated from the rubber bushing ? . Is this normal or will the clonk be solved with a new replacement .Also the middle bush has quite a bit of movement in it ?. Does anyone think this could have been finished off with the engine and gearbox movement whilst i was wrestling with the gearbox ?Big Grin LOL .
Look forward to your replies as i intend to get it sorted tomorrow am if i can ?, cheers in advance Mick
The cable should reset itself, it's on a ratchet mechanism. Did you lever the clutch arm back? If you did then this is your problem.
You should be able to pull the cable at the fork end, sometimes needs a wiggle/push/pull then should pull out, then just release it.
I have this same problem, so much that the clutch was slipping!
Don't worry about the mount, that's normal.
Not sure about the clunk, centre mount should be ok as log as there's not major play. Check that the bracket is not catching on the mount.
Best bet is just to recheck everything is tight.
(31-07-2014, 04:11 PM)Roadrally Wrote:  The cable should reset itself, it's on a ratchet mechanism. Did you lever the clutch arm back? If you did then this is your problem.
You should be able to pull the cable at the fork end, sometimes needs a wiggle/push/pull then should pull out, then just release it.
Not sure about the clunk, centre mount should be ok as log as there's not major play. Check that the bracket is not catching on the mount.

(31-07-2014, 04:19 PM)Micky C Wrote:  
(31-07-2014, 04:11 PM)Roadrally Wrote:  The cable should reset itself, it's on a ratchet mechanism. Did you lever the clutch arm back? If you did then this is your problem.

Hi !thanks for the swift reply mate . yes i did pull the lever back to get it to go into place ? should i remove it and push pull and wiggle as you said and then it will go back to normal ? Hope so as its great now the clutch is new but the pedal is very high ? I did centralise the mount as best i could but may just need a tweak ? . I did try moving it but it got worse so suspect i moved it into wrong position . Thanks again for the reply fella , really appreciate it Confusedalut:
Just a thought ? the cable i bought was a first line cable and not a genuine citroen cable ? should this still reset itself ?
The auto-adjusting cable has a 'big lump' in the middle with the ratchetting mechanism inside.
(There should also be a spring on the clutch side of the lump, probably held 'compacted' before installation with some sort of clip or tie off.)

A lot of third-party cables only have an adjustment nut.