Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
cold start issues 02 i.9
wife has a 02 multispace, picked it up cheap off an aurther daily type local car dealer about 3 years ago.story was hed had the local scrap yard do the head gasket .  theres black engine oil all over the engine bay and a thin film on the surface of the coolant in the header tank. but it runs ok and doesnt use any fluids.   but there the odd flashing light and electrical oddity that usally clears itself or clears ater a waggle of the fuses in the very oily fuse box.  bottom of the battery wont ever rust cos its sat in dirty engine oil.

over the last couple of months its started missbehaving maybe once a fortnight it will cold start then stop after about 30 secs.... lot of cranking and it would splutter to life.then be ok till the next time.

took it in the local garage to have its bumps read,    computer found no fault codes,   feeling wa sits a bloody citroen , probably an intermitant electrical gremlin,  could be the stop solenoids connected to a scotch lock on the wiring loom under the glow plug relay, (" we usually solder onto a reversing light wire on the gearbox")  could be the injector with the wires on , could be a dickystop solenoid.   etc. basically some clever bit turning the stop solenoid off.

anyway over the ensuing weeks, i moved the stop solenoid wire onto a soldered connection on the reversing light wiring, connection on the stop solenoid was corroded so cleaned that , cleaned the earths i could find,  even got another stop solenoid but cant be arsed to dismantle everything thats in the way to actually change it.

not made much differance to be honest.

except it started playing up every morning

hang on a minute ....  lightbulb moment.

if it was anything electrical  as soon as the fault cleared itself surely it woud start instantly  just as it does if you turn it off wiith the key not cough and splutter like it was bleeding the diesel through.

perhaps pushing the manual fuel primer a few times will do summit .....pushed the manual fuel primer a few times ...... there a diesel drip from arround the injector with the wires on.......out the side of the rubber plug on the unused excess fuel connection...... managed to lever it off with a screw driver and wriggle on a bit of plastic pipe with a nail in the end and taped up ..why cant these genius car designers make an engine where you can actually get your fingers to the important bits like injectors and glow plugs?... few more pushes on the primer , instant start.

its now behaved itself for a week. instant starts in frosty weather and no stopping

the split in this rubber plug must have been letting air in overnight......

i guess the moral is look for the basic simple things first,    dont beleive the reputation for leccy gremlins ,   dont rely on computer diagnostics or garage advice.

im just kicking myself for not realising it had to air leak in fuel right from the ouset , with hindsight it wasnt the symptoms of a leccy / immobiliser fault   and with the stop solenoid wired to an ignition feed very little except a major wiring faults going to turn it off
You did well! Yes, it's sad to say that too many garage 'engineers' rely on electronic diagnosis rather than
traditional skills.
The Older I get the Better I Was!  Cool
It's the old proverb "keep it simple". Never assume & proceed in a methodical manner.Glad you sorted it. Big Grin
Strawberry flavoured windows  Dodgy