Thread Rating:
  • 13 Vote(s) - 2.46 Average
Trials bike restoration project
Something that I have wanted to do for a while is to restore an old motorbike. I have also always fancied having a go at trials, and so I have just picked up this beauty..

It is a 1973 Montesa Cota 247

[Image: IMG_0774.jpg]

It needs stripping down and re-building, but hopefully I can get it finished for the summer (famous last words)
2005 Berlingo Multispace 1.6i Desire (Iron Grey)

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Nice... had the chance of buying an old AJS 250 a few years back for restoring but "pettycoat management" put her foot down and that, as they say, was the end of that. Now I restore model N Gauge railway stuff...
Berlingo Multispace 2.0HDI '54 reg Mediterranean Blue
Looks in pretty good shape to start with so, a good choice for a first project. You'll have that little 2 stroke buzzing away in no time lol. So then it's off to some do some mud plugging Smile
2011 (61) Multispace XTR 110 in Kyanos Blue
Nice one! Will it fit in the back of the Berlingo?
I can get my 250 Honda in mine with the front wheel off.... just!!
Adam..2003..1.9D..LX..Silver Crew Cab Van.....
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.
What a beauty!!
Chris
I envy you as I have a '79 Montesa Cota 348 which I have owned from new that is needing restoration but sadly I am unable to due to my never ending health problems.
Tracey and I have over the past couple of years got rid of two other trials bikes - both Traceys - a BSA Bantam and a Yamaha TY175.
Back in the 90s we were members of the Owls club in Kent (as well as our clubs here in Essex) and found them to be a very friendly bunch who laid on trials very suitable for us aging riders.
I have a good record at the Jack Thomson trial held by the Sidcup club at Canada Heights - entered twice - won my class twice.
Looking forward to updates on the restoration.
Best wishes,
Jim
PS Get rid of those handlebars! Get a good set of lower rise Renthals.

Berlingo XTR HDi110, Tivoli Blue, Modutop, MyWay etc etc
Thanks for the positive comments.

I bought the bike from an ex-works/factory rider who rode these back in the day for Montesa, and who was also part of the original development team in Barcelona in the late 60's. The bike is interesting in that it has some period works parts that were only ever used on the factory competition bikes, such as the engine and the hubs. The seller thought that it might be an ex-works bike, though it could well be that it has just been cobbled together out of an assortment of bits.

It is not going to be a concours job anyway, as I want to actually use it, so it will get bumps and scrapes no doubt. As my dad once told me, "you should learn to ride on an old bike" (though at the time he wasn't talking about the two-wheeled variety, as he also said that "there are no brakes on an old bike" Wink)

The Montesa did come home in the Berlingo, but I couldn't get the tailgate to shut completely and the bike was laid over. I am going to look at how easy it would be to take out the smaller rear seat as I reckon that would allow it to go in completely, and to stay upright. Has anyone done this?

The Kamp Kommandant is actually all for this project, on the basis that she seems happy for me to be in the workshop rather than in the house Confusedcratch: :woop: I think she would prefer me to have a mid-life crisis with this rather than with anything else :whistle:

Jim, if you do think of selling the 348 at some point, please bear me in mind. I would love to have the big brother as well Big Grin

p.s. you are right about my handle-bars, they do seem too high for me.
2005 Berlingo Multispace 1.6i Desire (Iron Grey)

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.