Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Trolley Jack Use
Morning all!

Can anyone tell me the best places to use a trolley jack under my Mk 1 Berlingo 1.9D?
Obviously I can use the usual sill jacking points but for example if I wanted to lift both front wheels up on the jack where can I safely position it without damaging anything?

Thanks
There is no such points I'm afraid. Don't try lift it from the front bumper or you may damage your radiator. With little jacks it's all about lifting from the sides. There are things you can fabricate to make a jacking points for what you need but this is more of a race car talk than Berlingo stuff.
Thanks Kokain.
I have had success lifting the rear of my bingo using a trolley jack under the subframe where the rear axle tube passes through, just inside of where the stub axle pivots:

[Image: UAKgp8H.jpg?1]

(On the bottom, obviously...)

You might need a trolley jack with quite a large cup on it, as you have to clear the exhaust on the left as well as the shock absorber bosses.

I'm not an expert but I've been told that jacking at the points on the sills using anything except the emergency scissor jack can bugger them up, meaning that when you do get a puncture in the rain at 2am, you're pretty stuffed...
Strip thread and back off 1/4 turn.
2001 (Mk1) Multispace Forte 1.9D
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to Tango91 for this post:
  • ron, Slimslim
You'd still be buggered...
Those points at the sill are reinforced to take the load. The rest of the sill isn't.

When jacking up the front I use a 2' long board, about 1" thick and 10" wide. Place one end on the sill(at the jacking point) and the other end in towards the middle of the car. And the jack is placed a couple of inches in so that the load is spread.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Gadgetman for this post:
  • ron
I jack it up using the jacking point, then pop and axle stand under the subframe, then jack up the other side. And yeah only use jacking points as the sill WILL bend otherwise...I've got afew dents due to careless jacking lol
'04 Peugeot Partner HDi LX. Lows, Leaks and Wellers. Now matt grey and dent free Smile

I always jack under the subframe.

I NEVER use jacking point, even if they are provided. I have seen jacks go straight through corroded jacking points and they are often difficult to see under the paint!

Whilst on the topic I remember catching one place jacking up the wife's Citroen ZX with a trolley jack under the PLASTIC fuel tank when fitting a tyre...I was not best amused!
Oops! Haven't been on here for a while.....
Thanks for all your replies everyone!
I use subframes too, if the jacking point is damaged due to improper use of a trolley jack, when you come to need it on the side of the road using a wheel change jack it will not fit anywhere. The jacking point id for the wheel change jack that you use in an emergency.
Black Hyundai i30 1.6CRDI 2011
Silver 1.9D Mutispace desire 2004 DW8B non Turbo..
White 1.9D Van 2005 DW8B non turbo..
Silver MGF 1.8 16v 1999
The MOT man jacks under the sub frame so I assume that's the least risky place to jack a car.