Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 3.38 Average
Turbo gone again!!!
Well if your turbo has failed due to oil starvation, there is debris in your oil, I would say this affects most of the 1.6 hdi,s on the road, especially with typical UK use, ie short journeys and lots of traffic.
Removal of this debris is just about impossible, the engine is polluting itself with rubbish via the dpf and particularly the Egr valve.
The problem can be solved by stripping the engine completely down and cleaning every part, to as new condition. This is never going to happen in most cases due to cost, or a new engine could be fitted.
My answer is to remove the filter, this is a low cost solution, that has worked for my customers allowing me to offer a guarantee with the turbos I fit.
If you do not remove the gauze in any way, and just fit a new turbo on one of these engines, I would say it is 90% likely that it will fail within 12 months.
The tiny particles of sludge, or whatever the contamination is appear to cause no major issue to the turbo, whilst no oil at all will certainly kill it.
My son runs a 206 GTI HDI, and it has done 20k of very hard use , with a remap up to around 140bhp, we removed the turbo about 2 months ago and sent it to midland turbo for testing, and they noted no deterioration at all, and it was fitted straight back on the car. This has been our test mule for many extreme ECU maps.
[-] The following 6 users say Thank You to Lighty for this post:
  • Argos69, jamesg, lennythelion, Ol'Jeffers, Opensauce, Terry ww
Interesting about the egr valve & presumably explains why an engine that does mainly long trips is less likely to have the turbo fail. I suppose a car that is used for regular longish motorway trips & otherwise driven for short trips in a country area without much standing or stop/start in heavy traffic is less to have the turbo fail?
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Opensauce for this post:
  • lennythelion
(17-09-2013, 09:26 PM)Opensauce Wrote:  Interesting about the egr valve & presumably explains why an engine that does mainly long trips is less likely to have the turbo fail. I suppose a car that is used for regular longish motorway trips & otherwise driven for short trips in a country area without much standing or stop/start in heavy traffic is less to have the turbo fail?

Spot on Confusedalut:
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Lighty for this post:
  • Opensauce
(18-09-2013, 05:50 AM)Lighty Wrote:  Spot on Confusedalut:
Jolly good! I'm hoping for a reasonably trouble free 8-9yr relationship with my car then. Big Grin
Diesels of old could handle short journeys. People make the mistake of buying modern diesels for town work, a major error. They need a good run frequently to prevent gunking up. My 2.0 hdi has done at least 150k the majority on long runs and I have no trouble with egr blocking. The oil is changed at least every 6k as is the fuel filter and air filter. I'm dreading this old girl dying and having to buy a 1.6hdi, this van has been fantastic in over 100k and I don't want to buy a van that possibly could cost me dearly due to the turbo problem.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.
So one of the best options is to blank off the EGR valve which would prevent any of the
engine's burnt residues re-entering the engine and causing the problem in the first place, n'est pas??
The Older I get the Better I Was!  Cool
(18-09-2013, 12:46 PM)OlJeffers Wrote:  So one of the best options is to blank off the EGR valve which would prevent any of the
engine's burnt residues re-entering the engine and causing the problem in the first place, n'est pas??

That's the ideal solution for a vehicle that does short journeys.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.
Thanks for your posts, I've been away for a few says so not had chance to post.

Lighty, thanks for your advice and helping out the garage in question with your knowledge.

The garage I bought the car from has repeated the repair this time taking out the gauze on the feed pipe. I would like to say before anyone jumps down their neck, as lighty has pointed out they are a competent garage and locally they have a very good reputation for their customer care, if I had bought elsewhere I'm pretty sure atm I'd be left with a hefty bill.

Opensauce, Iam looking at other options, but I like the partner (just not the blinking engine design). I test drove a new shape doblo this week, and tbh it felt awful inside, and the 105hp engine is terribly noisy.
(17-09-2013, 08:47 PM)Lighty Wrote:  Well if your turbo has failed due to oil starvation, there is debris in your oil, I would say this affects most of the 1.6 hdi,s on the road, especially with typical UK use, ie short journeys and lots of traffic.
Removal of this debris is just about impossible, the engine is polluting itself with rubbish via the dpf and particularly the Egr valve.
The problem can be solved by stripping the engine completely down and cleaning every part, to as new condition. This is never going to happen in most cases due to cost, or a new engine could be fitted.
My answer is to remove the filter, this is a low cost solution, that has worked for my customers allowing me to offer a guarantee with the turbos I fit.
If you do not remove the gauze in any way, and just fit a new turbo on one of these engines, I would say it is 90% likely that it will fail within 12 months.
The tiny particles of sludge, or whatever the contamination is appear to cause no major issue to the turbo, whilst no oil at all will certainly kill it.
My son runs a 206 GTI HDI, and it has done 20k of very hard use , with a remap up to around 140bhp, we removed the turbo about 2 months ago and sent it to midland turbo for testing, and they noted no deterioration at all, and it was fitted straight back on the car. This has been our test mule for many extreme ECU maps.
Hi & thanks for sharing your knowledge on this subject. This might be a really naive question, but is there any logic in thinking this mesh oil filter sounds like it should never have been fitted by PSA as it's such a gremlin, so should it be removed from even a healthy engine if the opportunity arises?
Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement… 

2017 Berlingo Multispace Flair 120
2013 C5 Tourer 2.2HDi Excl
Previously:
2012 C5 Tourer 1.6HDi auto
2012 Berlingo Enterprise 1.6HDi Van
2009 C5 Tourer 2.0D
2001 C5 Tourer 2.0D
2001 Range Rover 4.6 Vogue (really!)
I would definitely remove the filter from ANY 1.6 hdi that I owned .

(22-09-2013, 10:32 AM)Argos69 Wrote:  
(17-09-2013, 08:47 PM)Lighty Wrote:  Well if your turbo has failed due to oil starvation, there is debris in your oil, I would say this affects most of the 1.6 hdi,s on the road, especially with typical UK use, ie short journeys and lots of traffic.
Hi & thanks for sharing your knowledge on this subject. This might be a really naive question, but is there any logic in thinking this mesh oil filter sounds like it should never have been fitted by PSA as it's such a gremlin, so should it be removed from even a healthy engine if the opportunity arises?
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Lighty for this post:
  • Argos69