Thread Rating:
  • 18 Vote(s) - 2.83 Average
Understanding the MPG display symbols
Hi folks,

A small thing but it's been driving me mental for a couple of weeks so I come looking for sanity. I have a 2010 Berlingo van, absolute cracker of a machine. On the central display where you see the radio and time etc, I can also check my mpg by the button on the wiper stalk. In addition to the average, there are several other symbols and there's no mention of them in the handbook and I hate going on the citreon website because I can never find anything useful. So any ideas ?
The symbols I see are:

Average MPG e.g 45 MPG - which is fine except that it fluctuates widely sometimes, showing 999 which I guess is in response to the fuel moving about

The next one is a lollypop symbol >> 2800 - I'm guessing this is milage since the last service?

Then I get the lollypop ---45.3----petrol pump symbol - but the 45.3 doesn't change at all

Then I have a car symbol >> 22mph - no idea on this one

Any ideas folks
(01-01-2012, 03:33 PM)reddamo12 Wrote:  Hi folks,

A small thing but it's been driving me mental for a couple of weeks so I come looking for sanity. I have a 2010 Berlingo van, absolute cracker of a machine. On the central display where you see the radio and time etc, I can also check my mpg by the button on the wiper stalk. In addition to the average, there are several other symbols and there's no mention of them in the handbook and I hate going on the citreon website because I can never find anything useful. So any ideas ?
The symbols I see are:

Average MPG e.g 45 MPG - which is fine except that it fluctuates widely sometimes, showing 999 which I guess is in response to the fuel moving about

i think it depends on various factors e.g speed ect

The next one is a lollypop symbol >> 2800 - I'm guessing this is milage since the last service?

i think this is total miles e.g since new

Then I get the lollypop ---45.3----petrol pump symbol - but the 45.3 doesn't change at all

this is miles before tanks empty

this is overall average speed

Any ideas folks
Thanks

Paul Ryan
Lollipop and car symbol and miles is total miles which can be reset by pushing in end of stalk and holding, same with average mpg , mph etc-they all reset at same time. When 999 mpg shows it happens when car is coasting etc and is mpg actual and not mpg average Confusedcratch:car and pump shown means miles left in tank which can change depending on throttle use etc. Lollipop,car and pump shows the:average mpg.
Former 2011 Mk3 XTR owner Confusedalut:
I think I disagree with Paul's list a bit
(01-01-2012, 03:33 PM)reddamo12 Wrote:  Average MPG e.g 45 MPG - which is fine except that it fluctuates widely sometimes, showing 999 which I guess is in response to the fuel moving about
if its fluctuating, then its your instantaneous mpg

That's mileage since the last reset of the trip computer - reset by pressing and holding the stalk button

That's the mileage let in the tank, which can actually go up quite a lot. One a drive over to Bradford, it started off as showing 110 miles, but was about 160 when we got there. Without filling up.

That's average speed since last reset.
Any ideas folks
There's also a symbol set for average MPG (since last reset)[/b] - I think it involves the lollypop. I'm pretty sure the details are in the car's handbook.
The Bus II: 2019 XL Flair 1.2
Hi folks, thanks for the replys, with the info posted and a bit of fiddling I've figured out most things

if its fluctuating, then its your instantaneous mpg -
Yep, did a series of drives where I monitored this and it's the MPG at any given pt in a journey.

That's mileage since the last reset of the trip computer - reset by pressing and holding the stalk button -
Yep, zeroed this and it checks out.

That's the mileage let in the tank, which can actually go up quite a lot. One a drive over to Bradford, it started off as showing 110 miles, but was about 160 when we got there. Without filling up. -
Actually I think this is the maximum MPG you have achieved since the last trip reset which shows how efficient your driving is. I tested this by just running around town during the week and then doing a longer run. There is another set of numbers which indicates fuel left and it's a number followed by a pump eg. 145>>petrol pump symbol and it drops in parallel with the fuel gauge and when the light comes on...I do sometimes play petrol pump bingo...

That's average speed since last reset -
Yep, saw this doing the comparison between local and a longer run.

Thanks everyone. If anyone spots what page this stuff in on in the handbook can you post it up? I can't find anything in there
Cheers