Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Warning Light] Alternator warning Light
Hi Guys new to this forum although & i have had my 2005 2ltr HDI desire for 5yrs & love it, never had much problems. I have changed battery which it needed, but still getting alternator warning light coming on approx 1 mile after start up. Is it a common fault & easy fix thought I might ask on here before I take it to auto Leccy Thanks in anticipation
Hello Greek welcome to the forum why don't you put a volt metre or a amp gauge to see what the alt is putting out should be around 14 volts also check the wire's on the back of the alt and the cable's on the back of the battery clamp's
                                     Smile  It's too orangey for crow's It's just for me and my dog  Smile

Heart Heart Love a lot trust a few  Dodgy

If you don't have a multi metre, some places like kwik fit, halfords, national tyres etc do a quick free alternator/battery test.
It could be a worn or slack belt. Does it squeal at all? It's also worth inspecting and cleaning associated wire connectors and terminals of the alternator just incase it's something simple. Check the belt for tightness and wear. Find the longest run of belt and push down on it with thumb, it shouldn't deflect more than 1 quarter of an inch.
No not belt I am reasonable do it yourselfer had a look at all that, There`s a plug on top with green & purple with only the puple connected must be normal as no green feed to the plug. Unfortunatly voltage tester knacked will go & get meself a new one & prob get a test by a leccy ,getting a bit lazy these days & got a 1970`s mk1 Transit & a1968 mk2 Jag to look after plus my runaround Xtype so wifes Berlingo back of the queue. Thanks for trying just thought might have been a common fix
(23-12-2014, 03:11 PM)Greek Wrote:  No not belt I am reasonable do it yourselfer had a look at all that, There`s a plug on top with green & purple with only the puple connected must be normal as no green feed to the plug. Unfortunatly voltage tester knacked will go & get meself a new one & prob get a test by a leccy ,getting a bit lazy these days & got a 1970`s mk1 Transit & a1968 mk2 Jag to look after plus my runaround Xtype so wifes Berlingo back of the queue. Thanks for trying just thought might have been a common fix

Just measure the voltage on the battery when engine is running. It must be close to 14V .