Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 3 Average
We've been Berlingoed!
Hi everyone! WE just bought a Berlingo 1.6HDi MY2007, with nothing but AC and tinted windows - and are pretty happy so far. I'm here to get tips on the service and possible problems we could be facing, and to maybe pep up the car. It replaced a Chrysler Grand Voyager 3.3l LX, so it'll be a new experience for us :lol: .
I'm an American living in Germany (Regensburg area). The first voyage for the Berlingo will be to South England in two weeks Rolleyes Let's hope she holds....
Servus, Charlie
Grüss Dich Charlie and welcome. I'm an Ami myself living in Switzerland. Have fun on the trip.

Tom
2010 Berlingo Multispace HDi 110 with FAP.  Persamos green.

Charlie!!
You'll find the little 1.6 diesel a willing worker but you must treat it like a princess. Oil change every 9000 miles preferably with a flush
and keep all of the servicing well within the schedule and it'll be fine....probably! (Well it is French!!)
Bon Chance!!
The Older I get the Better I Was!  Cool
(14-08-2011, 11:58 AM)cbeck113 Wrote:  Hi everyone! WE just bought a Berlingo 1.6HDi MY2007, with nothing but AC and tinted windows - and are pretty happy so far. I'm here to get tips on the service and possible problems we could be facing, and to maybe pep up the car. It replaced a Chrysler Grand Voyager 3.3l LX, so it'll be a new experience for us :lol: .
I'm an American living in Germany (Regensburg area). The first voyage for the Berlingo will be to South England in two weeks Rolleyes Let's hope she holds....
Servus, Charlie

Habe die ere charlie,I was down your way in june,Dresden,Nurnburg & Munchen.My Berlingo is a 1.6 HDI 90 2007,& it was a breeze.Drove it a bit quick on the Autobahns & covered distance quickly.Enjoy your trip.
Strawberry flavoured windows  Dodgy
just make sure you service it strictly to the letter of the book, don't scrimp on the correct oils or parts, otherwise any warranty will be void. Sure you'd know this anyway, but the 1.6HDi has a well known repeat turbo failure problem. It's fitted in all Makes of vehicle not just citroen. The folliwng is from teh manufacturer of the Turbo, more or less admitting it can't be 100% fixed. Good luck. By the way, I speak from experience as my 1.6HDi Berlingo has had two already before 126000 miles, and I'm just waiting for it to go again:

Tech Bulletins/Special Offers

PSA 1.6 Hdi Turbocharger Failure & Fitting Warning
PSA 1.6 Hdi Turbocharger Failure & Fitting Warning

ATTENTION: PLEASE READ THIS AND FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE FITTING THESE TURBOS TO YOUR CUSTOMERS VEHICLES
753420-ANY & 49173-07508 110 & 90/75 bhp
PSA 1.6HDi TURBOS, 2004- ONWARDS
The PSA 1.6HDi, DV6TED4 engine is a highly sophisticated low emission, high power diesel unit. It is used in many different applications Citroen, Ford, Mazda, Mini, Peugeot and Volvo.
Due to the engine being clean and powerful, it is designed to operate with high temperatures, which demands the very best lubricants. These lubricants must be maintained in peak condition and PSA have fitted an in-line oil filter to the turbo and an integral oil cooler/oil filter to this engine to ensure this. However there is a drawback to this, reports from in the field indicate that if the engine has been operated with the oil level below normal limits, this may potentially cause a high concentration of carbon in the oil. This may then lead to blockage of the in-line filter, oil cooler and main oil filter, which will eventually bring on premature turbo failure. The vacuum pump may also suffer from this same type of contamination. However, due to its high operating speeds (230,000 revs per minute) the turbo will usually be the first to show signs of damage. This can happen from 30,000 miles onwards if the oil level and correct oil change intervals/procedure have not been adhered to.
We have found that the carbon build up in this application is particularly difficult to remove. To try to eliminate the potential for further turbo failure the following MUST be undertaken by the garage, in addition to the normal recommended turbo fitting instructions:
· TURBO OIL FEED PIPE & BANJO BOLTS MUST BE CHANGED.
· OIL PUMP SHOULD BE REMOVED AND CHECKED.
· SUMP MUST BE REMOVED AND OIL STRAINER (PICK UP) SHOULD BE CLEANED/REPLACED BEFORE RE-FITTING NEW TURBO TO REMOVE RESIDUAL CARBON/SLUDGE BUILD UP.
· OIL COOLER AND FILTER ASSEMBLY SHOULD BE REMOVED AND CLEANED.
· REMOVE CHARGE AIR COOLER, DRAIN OFF ANY OIL INSIDE AND CLEAN THOROUGHLY.
· CHECK AND CLEAN ALL INLET AND OUTLET HOSES.
· IF OIL HAS LEAKED FROM PREVIOUSLY DAMAGED TURBO OR ENGINE INTO EXHAUST, CHECK EXHAUST SYSTEM FOR CONTAMINATION/BLOCKAGE (CATALYST, DPF etc.)
· REMOVE BRAKE VACUUM PUMP TO CHECK FOR DEBRIS/CARBON AND CLEAN AS NECESSARY.
· FIT NEW OIL FILTER AND OIL.
· CHECK FUEL INJECTOR GASKETS ARE NOT BURNT OR COMPROMISED. REPLACE AS NECESSARY
· OIL FLOW MUST BE CHECKED:
o FIT TURBO TO ENGINE LEAVING OIL RETURN PIPE OFF
o INSTALL A LONGER OIL RETURN LINE AND FEED INTO SUITABLE CONTAINER
o START ENGINE AND IDLE FOR 60 SECONDS, THEN SWITCH OFF ENGINE
o MEASURE VOLUME OF OIL IN CONTAINER
§ 60 SECONDS OF IDLE SHOULD PRODUCE AT LEAST 0.3 LITRES OF OIL.
o REPEAT TEST TWO OR THREE TIMES TO CONFIRM OIL FLOW IS CORRECT
o DURING THIS TEST, DO NOT ALLOW ENGINE TO RUN BELOW MINIMUM OIL LEVEL!!
· VEHICLE SHOULD BE DRIVEN 20 to 30 MILES THEN THE OIL/FILTER REPLACED AGAIN.

Even after all the above has been carried out we cannot guarantee all carbon/oil sludge will be removed and you could still suffer a premature turbo failure. In the event of premature failure it is common for the impeller/nose nut to "come off", this is a consequence of a lubrication/turbine shaft failure & NOT a cause of turbo failure.

[i]We feel that due to the possibility of further turbo failures on this engine it is only right to inform you before you purchase a replacement turbo for your customer. Currently we are experiencing a 15% failure rate of units we supply for this engine. Please feel free to speak to our engineers or sales team if you would like to discuss this issue further.

Any turbo returned under warranty will be subject to our standard terms and conditions.
We would also like to assure you that this is the only engine we have experienced these failure rates with. We as a company will always inform you of any ongoing issues to allow you to make the right judgement call for what you deem correct for your business.

Thanks dbcwindsor, that means frequent oil changes (15000km max, more like 10k) and lots of attention to the oil level. I used to write up these procedures at my former job, and I've never heard a turbo manufacturer admit to a 15% (!!!!!!) failure rate. Ouch. The procedure itself, however, is a pretty straigth forward instruction to try and limit the chance for a repeat failure. Do you happen to know if any certain manufacturer has a higher failure rate? I'm hoping for the best. Has this been published elsewhere? I haven't seen a thread with this, but then again, I haven't made it through everything here yet.

And ron, I hope you enjoyed it, and maybe got to a Fest or two while you were here! Since the Berlingo has the same aerodynamics as a brick you should have had some higher fuel consumption on the Autobahn - I know we did when we picked up ours in Hannover - 7,5l/100km for the first tank, but we drove around 140km/h the entire way back ;-)

Servus, Charlie
Thank you for information.
I wanted to buy Partner B9 (in my country Citroen do not sell diesel Berlingo)with DV6 engine......
Scheiße!