Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.91 Average
Wet BSI
Hi

I'm new to the forum - please be gentle!

I have a Berlingo mkII (2006) with a 1.6 Hdi (the more powerful one ~95 bhp I think). Car electrics started behaving oddly (random windscreen wipes) yesterday after heavy rain and a few deep puddles.

My wife tried to start car this morning - turnover but no firing. Dash instruments looking odd. Performed BSI reset ok, and wife went on her way. Whilst out and about, she parked car and upon returning had the same thing happen. I talked her through BSI reset and things ok again - she made it home ok but reported even more odd instrument behaviour (random wipers, no speedo, no indicators, etc).

I decided to remove BSI (per the battery disconnect instructions found elsewhere)to look for signs of water. Sure enough, when I held the BSI on its side a few drops dripped out. So I opened the BSI case, and removed electronics board (surprisingly easy). Dried it all out, reassembled and reinstalled in car. Followed BSI battery reconnect instructions.

Now, problem is worse because BSI reset sequence makes no difference. Can't start car or get sense from instruments panel.

Any hints greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Tom
Did you follow any static precautions when you removed the board? Probably won't be static damage as these things are fairly robust in my experience but.... Double check connections, something may not be seated correctly. Check the cleanliness of the connections and look for water damage or residue. We often get equipment in the hospital that's had fluid in it and you often find tracks of residue between components on the PCB.

Beyond that I'm not sure as I'm new to the Berlingo.
Malc

Stupid computer!
Security system should not fail safe!
Security system should fail dangerous!
(30-04-2012, 09:30 PM)crickleymal Wrote:  Did you follow any static precautions when you removed the board? Probably won't be static damage as these things are fairly robust in my experience but.... Double check connections, something may not be seated correctly. Check the cleanliness of the connections and look for water damage or residue. We often get equipment in the hospital that's had fluid in it and you often find tracks of residue between components on the PCB.

Beyond that I'm not sure as I'm new to the Berlingo.

Thanks crickleymal! I was careful with the board - I'm familiar with ESD precautions and handling. The water has probably only been in there for a day, so I am hoping that this may improve my chances.

I am wondering if it would be possible to use an standard OBD reader (or perhaps Lexia) with the BSI in this state?

I sometimes get really frustrated with car electronics and all the proprietary information stuff. Someone needs to design a car with an open source electronics platform. :-)
Happened to me a few years back got my bsi soaked costed me just over £400 for a replacement from stealer
(01-05-2012, 03:14 AM)muply Wrote:  Happened to me a few years back got my bsi soaked costed me just over £400 for a replacement from stealer

Thanks muply. I'm not giving up just yet, but I'm beginning to brace myself for what might be coming! Only just recently had to have the clutch replaced (oil contaminated) so it hasn't been the cheapest car to run in the last 12 months.
do a bsi check on google a company makes them better again cheaper reman i think
(01-05-2012, 08:53 AM)muply Wrote:  do a bsi check on google a company makes them better again cheaper reman i think

Thanks again! Yes - I have come across bba-reman.com...and also ecutesting.com...will contact them to see what's on offer.
If it make you feel better i flooded mine with a hose pipe on full by mistake lol
(01-05-2012, 02:10 PM)muply Wrote:  If it make you feel better i flooded mine with a hose pipe on full by mistake lol

After doing some digging it seems that my best option is to first have the BSI unit assessed and possibly repaired by someone. I spoke to a couple of companies that offer this, so will decide which one to go for and then get it shipped off to them.

If the unit is reparable, it may come back "virginised". Having read up on the matter, this seems to involve reprogramming the EEPROM on the BSI unit itself. If this happens, then the BSI will need re-programming to my car (I guess so that it can talk once again to the engine ECU). It looks like this can only be done by a Citroen garage with the official diag/programming software, or possibly by a geek DIYer like myself with a Lexia 3 / PP2000 kit from ebay?

Does anyone have any information about exactly what is involved (e.g. instruction steps) when using Lexia 3 to reprogram a virginised BSI unit back to the car?

What I would give to see a set of PSA Citroen BSI/ECU service manuals right now!... Smile
AFAIK the only way to entirely re-program the BSI or ECU is to connect it to the dedicated server at
Citroen HQ via Lexia. Lexia by itself can alter what is already there by utilising what is already written
to the BSI/ECU
If this is from a different vehicle or the EPROM has somehow become corrupted then I believe that you'll
need the services of a Citroen engineer with the necessary permissions to connect to Citroen Central.
The Older I get the Better I Was!  Cool