Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which engine
Hi all

new to the forum but I'm buying a berlingo and want some advice about which engine.

I'm looking at getting a multispace as a family car but also to help start a small business I want one because of the space in the boot, ability to move the seats out and the height for getting stuff in. But also something to take the family on holiday. In my current job we've got a 2004 1.9 with no turbo which struggles to get up the pennine hills around me but obviously I can't compare it to the new engines.

Does the 90bhp engine have enough poke? I don't want a racing car but I do find the one in work frustrating.

Whats the main differences between the xtr spec? Worth getting?

Finally is there a lot of point getting a new one? I've seen some good looking 2011 models with low mileage for £7500, seems a lot to pay for the extra but then I've been told they have brought a new engine out in the new ones.

Thanks in advance for your views.
Hi Aitch

I'm fairly new on here myself, but in April 2014 I bought a new Berlingo VTR with the new Airdream 90 auto diesel engine and I find it's brilliant for going up hills. No effort at all, it just purrs away. I'm in Sussex, and it takes hills like Duncton and Bury in its stride. I had a succession of Volvo autos over the years, but this beats them all. And it's way ahead of my previous auto Kangoo.

The road duty was nil for year one, now it's £30 and will hopefully stay low as I think the engine is class 6 - minimal - for CO2, although now having encouraged millions of us to buy a diesel, they're saying diesels are bad for pollution.  They'll tax beards next.

I didn't go for the XTR as I didn't want tinted rear windows or the extra opening window within the rear tailgate glass.  Reversing sensors are very helpful though, as is air-con.

There should be good secondhand ones around by now, though I wouldn't swap mine for anything. It's roomy, versatile, and the driving position is excellent - as is fuel consumption - around 60 mpg on a run.

Good luck with your search !
Thanks for the advice rnamman. Sounds like the 90 will do well.
I agree that having A/C is well worth searching for. Especially if you have the modutop as there is a lot of glass in the car.

The turbo diesels have good torque and are more then powerful enough for the type of car it is. If they are serviced correctly they should last very well although you will likely have heard about turbo failures.
Hello Aitch welcome to the forum XTR speck Aircon as standard centre box by the hand brake three folding seat's in the rear not 60 / 40.  it's stand's 10 mm higher under tray for the engine the 90 engine up to 2012 does not have a FAP / DPF  fitted one less thing to worry about.  Smile
                                     Smile  It's too orangey for crow's It's just for me and my dog  Smile

Heart Heart Love a lot trust a few  Dodgy