Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Will not start
Berlingo 1.6 petrol tried this morning to start nothing took off coil module and have no spark on any of the plugs that I can see .
Also the amount of time I have been trying I would have expected it have flooded the plugs or at least had a smell of petrol.
Have a half tank of fuel can anybody help it has never been a problem live on a remote island so cannot nip to a garage if it is major will have to ship it over .
NorthnessSad
Hi,
Check that the cut off switch (the red re-set button on the bulkhead) hasn't operated. Simply press it. Seems odd you have no spark or fuel.
HTH,
Griff
Landmark
Ex 1.4 Berlingo Multispace
(19-03-2014, 11:41 AM)Landmark Wrote:  Hi,
Check that the cut off switch (the red re-set button on the bulkhead) hasn't operated. Simply press it. Seems odd you have no spark or fuel.
HTH,
Griff
Hi griff
Thank you for the reply I have press that red button on the driver side of bulkhead but I thought that that was just for fuel??

Thank you for the reply I have press that red button on the driver side of bulkhead but I thought that that was just for fuel??
What are you using to 'see' the spark?

A couple of other checks:
1. do you hear the gas pump activate when you switch on the ignition?

2. does the starter engange and turn the engine over?

3. Since you've been pulling the plugs(and asuming it cranks) have you measured compression?

4. How old is the fuel filter?

If the pump sounds as it Works, you can check that you really have high-pressure in the reservoir(the plasticky thing sitting across the injectors) by poking on the valve on the end of the reservoir(not all models have this valve) Be warned that you REALLY need a heap of rags to absorb the fuel... and maybe not do anything else under the bonnet for a while afterwards...

The Lexia tool can test the injectors.(you can actually hear them clicking on and off... )
It's possible to get the same effect With a pair of leads hooked up to a 12V battery, and just touch those to the terminals on the injectors (conveniently placed so that they can't be reached without dismantling everything... )

Does the fuel system have ONE or TWO fuel lines?
(Feed and Return)
If you have two, you also have a pressure regulator on one end of the reservoir...
Finding the spark
Hi
I took off the coil module put the plugs in and had someone turn it over like we used to with the old distributor caps well I earth it on the head ( I am old)
The last time I tried to check the spark on an engine With the coil pack, I used 4 'inline tester' units at the same time.
Much more reliable.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_sacat=...est&_rdc=1
Thank you for info have check on e bay
I did check with a multimeter that the plugs were earthing well on the head and switch the lights on the shed so it was dark and thought I would have had a least one to spark would the fuel be delivered well the plugs well out of the head because none of that either ?
Actually, the plugs should fire in pairs.
(They're using a 'lost spark' system because there's only 2 coils in the coil pack)

There's no unusual lights on the dash?
No unusual lights have check all fuses as well in both boxes
That is weird...
(The ECU is generally pretty decent at detecting a broken coil or two, broken wires leading to stuff, stuck sensors and such)

And the rest of the stuff?
You can hear the fuel pump?
There's pressure in the system?

A gasoline engine works by:
1. Air and fuel is mixed.
2. Mixture is compressed in cylinder
3. BOOM!
4. Spent stuff is ejected.

Even a pretty 'off' mix should make it run, if lumpy.
Timing off? Should still run, if badly...
Exhaust doesn't evacuate? (Clogged catalyst. Happened to me.) It'll still run for a second or two until the back pressure builds up too much.

Unless spark is missing, there's no fuel, or no compression, there should be some reaction.

I'd really have liked to see you test this with Lexia, but if that's not available...

Do you know which model ECU you have?
And do you have a multimeter(Volt and Ohm)?