Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.36 Average
Winter Tyres.
I would think that on an island like Orkney where the
opportunity for driving at high speed is perhaps limited,
you may be better off with a true mud and snow tread pattern.
The Older I get the Better I Was!  Cool
(22-11-2012, 04:42 PM)OlJeffers Wrote:  I would think that on an island like Orkney where the
opportunity for driving at high speed is perhaps limited,
you may be better off with a true mud and snow tread pattern.

But at the same time, when the snow comes, it really comes......

This was my old Renault Trafic :whistle: I approached that corner at about 3 miles per hour.....

[Image: IMG00074-20101216-1411.jpg]
Exactly! So M&Ss would be a more prudent choice!
The Older I get the Better I Was!  Cool
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Ol'Jeffers for this post:
  • Merlecollins
(22-11-2012, 03:06 PM)Merlecollins Wrote:  I've been strongly advised to get winteer tyres on my Bingo as, allegedly, they are hopeless in poor conditions...:S

So just spoken to my local McConechy's Tyres who have quoted me on a Goodyear Ultragrip 8 tyre.

Has anyone had, got or getting winter tyres this year and does anyone know what these Goodyear ones are like?
I have had a berlingo for the past 10 years and found them quite good in the winter - When on snow I generally let the front down to 24PSI and the van grips well.

I do live a little way off a main road and quite often have to use chains to get there - as they are a real pain to put on and take off I have for the first time just invested in some winter tyres - hopefully I won't need to bother with the chains as much this winter.

[Image: 2eptw7k.jpg]

Bought a couple of cheap steel rims from the scrappy (£20) and a couple of remolds (£75). I will only fit them when there is snow or it is very likely, so hopefully I will still have 8½mm of tread for a good few years. Although they are not full M+S (can you still buy them for small tyres?) they are the cold weather compound that supposedly performs really well in the snow -

Here is a picture of them along with a normal one - not a very aggressive pattern but shouldn't be noisy or too heavy on the fuel.
[Image: vii1qs.jpg]
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Noel Brig for this post:
  • Merlecollins
(22-11-2012, 06:05 PM)Noel Brig Wrote:  
(22-11-2012, 03:06 PM)Merlecollins Wrote:  I've been strongly advised to get winteer tyres on my Bingo as, allegedly, they are hopeless in poor conditions...:S

So just spoken to my local McConechy's Tyres who have quoted me on a Goodyear Ultragrip 8 tyre.

Has anyone had, got or getting winter tyres this year and does anyone know what these Goodyear ones are like?
I have had a berlingo for the past 10 years and found them quite good in the winter - When on snow I generally let the front down to 24PSI and the van grips well.

I do live a little way off a main road and quite often have to use chains to get there - as they are a real pain to put on and take off I have for the first time just invested in some winter tyres

Bought a couple of cheap steel rims from the scrappy (£20) and a couple of remolds (£75). I will only fit them when there is snow or it is very likely, so hopefully I will still have 8½mm of tread for a good few years. Although they are not full M+S (can you still buy them for small tyres?) they are the cold weather compound that supposedly performs really well in the snow -

Here is a picture of them along with a normal one - not a very aggressive pattern but shouldn't be noisy or too heavy on the fuel.
[Image: vii1qs.jpg]

Good lump of tread on them. :thumbsup:
Dont be scared of remoulds, it doesn't seem to scare you when you go on holiday on that big nasty jet fitted with remoulds.....
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.
(22-11-2012, 04:52 PM)OlJeffers Wrote:  Exactly! So M&Ss would be a more prudent choice!

M&S is a term used to describe the tread pattern (or what percentage of the tread pattern is 'open'). Lots of tyres can be marked M&S but proper winter tyres with the mountain and snowflake symbol are made with a different rubber compound that offers more grip when temperatures fall below 7 degrees.

If that Renault Traffic had had winter tyres all round it would probably have gone round that corner at 20mph quite safely. Or stopped quickly if needed. Or pulled away with no wheelspin even if the road was quite steep.

It's all very well just "driving to the conditions" but modern cars have wider tyres, less engine braking, ABS that won't allow you to stop on slippery surfaces and vehicles are usually much heavier - that's why four winter tyres are, IMO, essential if you intend driving on (especially snowy) winter roads.

And no, I don't work for a tyre company. Smile
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to slugulike for this post:
  • Merlecollins, tucker
Berlingo. Winter. Useless?
Don't think so...
Had a Clio previously with 195 50s on, that was useless!
We had a big (for England) snowfall one Saturday afternoon last year and my Berlingo was the only vehicle moving on our estate. Drove like a dream.
No winter tyres, just standard tyres on steel. Two Toyo Proxes CF1 on front & a Michelin and a Tigar on the back.
Pity I have to replace all 4 now as they are illegal to use on a van, they are 82 rated, not 88/90.
Another £240 to find. Confusedillyme:
Therin lies the heart of the matter -"winter roads"

What is a winter road?
One that exists between the changing of the clocks? -in that case normal tyres will suffice.

If a "winter road" is one with snow on it then you have to carefully balance need against the expense-3 days of snow a year just cannot justify it for most people - the whole winter tyre thing is just a herding instinct for them.

I have a 15 mile trip to work -the first 2 miles will be on untreated twisty lanes the remainder will be on wet salted tarmac- Thats 12 miles a year with the above projection -unjustifiable -I will just drive very slowly on the snowy bits.

Monkey see, monkey do
If its more like a consistent 3 months then thats different.
But can you accuratly predict this years snowfall? -if you can then the Met Office have opportunities for you!

Its like buying a new powerful computer if you dont play the latest 3Dgames etc
If you're honest with yourself, you only want it because all the numbers on the box are bigger, but in reality an old lump (like this one) will do just fine- and it was given away free!!

If you have the spare disposable income go for it - it all keeps the economy ticking over.
Id rather spend the dosh on something more benefical.
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to evdama for this post:
  • j90xxx, Merlecollins
I also have a 15 mile commute, if I don't turn up I don't get paid. Investing in winter tyres has worked for me. It may be true that for some people in some parts of the country winter tyres are unnecessary.

Winter tyres are more than just an investment, they also help you 'slow down faster', help to prevent you sliding when you ought to be in control and minimise dealings with insurance companies.
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to CaptainKirk for this post:
  • jericlin, Merlecollins