Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
battery disconnecting ?? Why
just wondering why the Haynes recommends that you disconnect the battery on so many jobs.
For example i recently repaired the rocker cover /camshaft cover on my 2001 Berlingo van and saw in the manual to disconnect the battery, but it was not interfering with my work so i left it in place.
Is it a safety recommendation or did i do something wrong by ignoring this advice ?.
Probably belt and braces in these days of litigation.Dont worry youve done nothing wrong,but i will be talking to the Haynes Police. Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to bikergraham for this post:
  • petesta
A wise precaution in these days of computers and electronics, a stray spike when something splashes down to earth can cause all manner of ills and expense. I like belts and bracers.
2007 M59 1.6 HDi 

Serieal Berlingo owner  Heart Heart Heart
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to geoff for this post:
  • petesta
The only thing a haynes manual is useful for is using the pages to wipe the dipstick. There is better technical information freely available on the web.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Solent for this post:
  • petesta
(10-11-2015, 01:04 PM)Solent Wrote:  The only thing a haynes manual is useful for is using the pages to wipe the dipstick. There is better technical information freely available on the web.

youre lucky it didnt insist you wore plastic gloves , safety goggles and steel toecaps..... and thats just before you open the bonnet..... and dont forget the hi viz and hard hat.

tis all pc garbage written by bods with nowt better to do

(im watching the rugrats watching kids tv..... more garbage ....wifes gone to the hairdresser, just hope the nappy lasts till daughter in law collects them )
(11-11-2015, 03:53 PM)ricc Wrote:  
(10-11-2015, 01:04 PM)Solent Wrote:  The only thing a haynes manual is useful for is using the pages to wipe the dipstick. There is better technical information freely available on the web.

youre lucky it didnt insist you wore plastic gloves , safety goggles and steel toecaps..... and thats just before you open the bonnet..... and dont forget the hi viz and hard hat.

tis all pc garbage written by bods with nowt better to do

(im watching the rugrats watching kids tv..... more garbage ....wifes gone to the hairdresser, just hope the nappy lasts till daughter in law collects them )
Aggggggggggg the whole world's against me. Confused
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to bikergraham for this post:
  • petesta
In these days of litigation, companies have to cover themselves.
If you were to drop a spanner down the front of the engine and it wedged between the alternator pos terminal and the engine block, or down the back and shorted across the starter, you could have a potentially serious situation.
Maybe Haynes could be held liable if they didn't state to disconnect the battery and something happened.

A truck mechanic mate of mine had an apprentice in their shop drop a tool of some sort down the side of a truck engine and it shorted from alternator to earth via a metal power steering pipe. The pipe had a hole blown in it and the now red hot tool set the leaking power steering fluid on fire. Fortunately, being a Ford main dealer, all the firefighting equipment was available and the fire put out quickly with only a metal pipe and a couple of fried wires to replace.
So it even happens to the pro's.
(11-11-2015, 06:05 PM)Col Wrote:  In these days of litigation, companies have to cover themselves.
If you were to drop a spanner down the front of the engine and it wedged between the alternator pos terminal and the engine block, or down the back and shorted across the starter, you could have a potentially serious situation.
Maybe Haynes could be held liable if they didn't state to disconnect the battery and something happened.

A truck mechanic mate of mine had an apprentice in their shop drop a tool of some sort down the side of a truck engine and it shorted from alternator to earth via a metal power steering pipe. The pipe had a hole blown in it  and the now red hot tool set the leaking power steering fluid on fire. Fortunately, being a Ford main dealer, all the firefighting equipment was available and the fire put out quickly with only a metal pipe and a couple of fried wires to replace.
So it even happens to the pro's.

Very good point.Sh 1 t happens when you least expect it.
I don't know why people are so down on Haynes manuals, I buy one for most vehicles I own. I know you can find anything you want on t'internet these days but I still like to be able to look at pictures and instructions on paper and find oil capacities and other information without a computer or tablet and I'd rather get pages a bit oily than my tablet screen.

P.S. I'm looking for a video or pictures on how to change the heater matrix in the Berlingo and the internet is not coming up with anything Wink
So where does this bit go then ?