Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 2.89 Average
berlingo van 1997 diesel
hi guys new to forum hope you can help. i have a 1997 diesel berlingo van which was running fine until recently. it was parked in the drive and i noticed the reverse light was on? on further inspection the ignition had turned itself back on again without the key in the ignition?? it still starts and runs fine but i can remove the key whilst its running? it dosent turn off with the key i have to stall it? i was having slight problems with the keypad immobiliser......it would sometimes let me start the van without putting in my pin-code? could this be linked to my problem? any help would be much appreciated. cheers.
My partner has the keypad but it has been disconnected, I believe the procedeure was to put in the pin no. then pull out the key pad and disconnect it . If its disconnected and everything worked OK then that would show if it was faulty or not.
I'll pull out mine and see, just in case

Confusedcratch:

Just checked yes its been disconnected but as I dont have the pin code I cant reconnect to try out what I said above ???
hi brodefather11. thanks for your reply. ive been fiddling about with it this morning checked all earth connections and wiring but no joy. keypad dosent seem to be the problem as whether its connected or not the problems still there?? iam thinking it could be ignition barrel or key that could be at fault but then there dosent seem to be a lot of play or movement when the key is inserted?????? many thanks. keithn410.
Hi, when you have this problem and the key is out, are there any lights lit on the dash? Confusedcratch:
2006 2.0hdi 600 with bench seat.  Cool
hi yes there are dash lights with the key out ? the oil pressure light remains on and theres a small red light below temp gauge which remain on but all other dash lights battery, airbag,etc go out as normal.
(29-04-2012, 07:33 PM)keithn410 Wrote:  hi yes there are dash lights with the key out ? the oil pressure light remains on and theres a small red light below temp gauge which remain on but all other dash lights battery, airbag,etc go out as normal.

Just a thought(I have them occasionally),it's not an internal short in the ign sw keeping it all going?
Strawberry flavoured windows  Dodgy
Hi, if you PM me your Vin No. I'll dig out the correct drawings for your van and have a look. Confusedtudy:
:thumbsup:
2006 2.0hdi 600 with bench seat.  Cool
hi guys just a quick update on the electrical gremlins i was having with my 97 berlingo diesel. i was going to replace ignition barrel but as advised i sprayed some wd40 inside the barrel and on my key after several attempts the problem has disappeared? hope this can help someone in the future. many thanks keithn410