Thread Rating:
  • 19 Vote(s) - 3.89 Average
decat
cat is on its way out has anyone decated a 2.0 HDI does it make a big difference. i know it will boost the bhp but it will also decrease the torque
Had mine done a while ago.

If there are differences then my Dyno (seat of the pants type) can't tell the difference. Turbo seems to spool a bit more freely, but can't be sure. Exhaust is slightly noisier and a bit deeper, but by no means intrusive or anti social. Went through the emissions check on the MOT no bother.

It will free up a couple of BHP, not convinced it will decrease the torque - but you will be hard pushed to tell the difference.
Have you any details of how you did it Coco? custom made part or of the shelf?

Steve
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.
(09-02-2012, 09:34 PM)steve valentine Wrote:  Have you any details of how you did it Coco? custom made part or of the shelf?

Steve

find your nearest powerflow centre they quoted me £50 for my berlingo. you can buy it off the shelf if yours is a 1.9D but not for the HDI.
(09-02-2012, 07:55 PM)Coco Wrote:  Had mine done a while ago.

If there are differences then my Dyno (seat of the pants type) can't tell the difference. Turbo seems to spool a bit more freely, but can't be sure. Exhaust is slightly noisier and a bit deeper, but by no means intrusive or anti social. Went through the emissions check on the MOT no bother.

It will free up a couple of BHP, not convinced it will decrease the torque - but you will be hard pushed to tell the difference.

you do loose torque cause you are reducing the back pressure
Local garage cut it out and welded in a piece of pipe they had. Neat job done and cost £50 - cost was covered by weighing in the cat for scrap !!

"you do loose torque cause you are reducing the back pressure " - As I said, I'm not convinced and I don't believe you can tell the difference. As with all these mods they are not up to much on their own, but the sum total is worth having.
What's the legal impliocations? I understood that a pre 2002 vehicle could lose the cat, but 2002 and later HAVE to have them for the MoT? Or, at least, that's what I was told by the exhaust man who sold me a new cat...
The legal requirement seems to be that if a CAT was a standard
fitting to the vehicle when it was manufactured then it should be present for
the MoT.
The Older I get the Better I Was!  Cool
(10-02-2012, 10:02 AM)zedhead Wrote:  What's the legal impliocations? I understood that a pre 2002 vehicle could lose the cat, but 2002 and later HAVE to have them for the MoT? Or, at least, that's what I was told by the exhaust man who sold me a new cat...

you dont need a cat on a diesel it will go straight through MOT
that guy has just said that to sell you a cat. if anyone tells you that you need one they are talking bullshit.
My understanding is that from some point this year they are tightening up on it and it will be required to be present? A friendly MOT tester who has a small garage told me this, the insides of the Cat cannot be proven to be there however so people are now hollowing them out to make sure it appears intact.
ive done it to my 2006 vectra cdti, i told my mot centre and they said its not a requirment on a diesel, it passes every year.