Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 2.67 Average
Value your opinions. 1.9: Should i buy it?
Hello I posted on here for the first time yesterday. I'm almost decided on this car but don't want to make any mistakes. Wondered whether any of you had any tips? I have an automatic micra at the moment,low mileage cheap to run etc. But rubbish in snow & ice & only fits one guitar in in!

I've seen a 1.9 multispace forte. It's 2001 plate. 102k mileage I'm trying to reduce it to £1000 as they have no paperwork to say cambelt has been changed. Being sold by private garage who are members of the Trading Standards Fair Play scheme. It's booked in to my mechanic tomorrow for a check.

I'm just wondering whether any of you have experience of this model. I have a small business, often driving up hills in rural areas, carrying various boxes, bags, dog, guitars, gazebos, table, chairs, Big Grin so there's the attraction. I dont earn a steady wage so no finance or newish Berlingo for me. I dont mind it being a bit slower, what i don't want is something that's going to cost me dearly. I read one review where someone had real problems with the electrics, other reviews have been glowing.

Any good on steep hills?

Also does anyone know what would be a reasonable offer for it? it's immaculate inside, no rips, engine sounds great but I think it may be due for new cambelt & poss major service... any tips would be wonderful :wave:

Me again- i forgot, one bloke said his had cut out on the motorway... Im hoping that's not something you hear often?
Its the old technology diesel so less to go wrong. Get the belt changed & it should last another 100k miles. Only 70bhp & no turbo so a bit slow up hills. I'd get a price for a belt change & service & use that to get price down a bit but £1000 sounds ok with full mot if car is good.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Opensauce for this post:
  • ThoraB
It's always hard to say without seeing it, but hopefully your mechanic will help give you the answers you need.

The fact it is clean and tidy is always a good sign it's been well cared for.

On a car that age there will always be stories of things that have gone wrong and you have to just go with your instinct and take a punt. On the plus side, the most you can lose is a few hundred quid as you not paying a huge amount for it and even broken it will have a value!

If you strike lucky it's a car with plenty of wear left in it and parts for it are ready available from scrap yards, so there will normally be a cheap enough fix.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to tucker for this post:
  • ThoraB
Thanks Opensauce. I should have said they want the micra and £1,250 at the moment, micra isnt cosmetically tidy as some lacquer peeled off but is a good runner & automatic so they'll have no problems selling that. See what the mechanic says tomorrow...
(13-12-2011, 09:08 PM)tucker Wrote:  It's always hard to say without seeing it, but hopefully your mechanic will help give you the answers you need.

The fact it is clean and tidy is always a good sign it's been well cared for.

On a car that age there will always be stories of things that have gone wrong and you have to just go with your instinct and take a punt. On the plus side, the most you can lose is a few hundred quid as you not paying a huge amount for it and even broken it will have a value!

If you strike lucky it's a car with plenty of wear left in it and parts for it are ready available from scrap yards, so there will normally be a cheap enough fix.

Thanks for the reassurance there, I'm feeling a bit more confident! I don't have much knowledge of cars so I have been fiercely over-compensating in the research department so I don't look like a complete numpty! Confusedtudy: