Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 2.55 Average
driving in france/belguim
Going to the continent for a week driving around , anything I should look out for ?,

apart from driving on the wrong side of the road that is. the wifes been practicing that here since she got her license.

Confusedcratch:
Foreigners :whistle:
I take it you know the stuff you need in the car for France? Hi viz jacket, warning triangle etc. Buy your diesel from supermarket pumps, much cheaper than motorway services, unmanned pumps take UK credit/debit cards. Town speed limits may not be signed but its 50k(30mph)as soon as you pass the town/village sign. Look out for priority right in towns. Most roads that turn into main rd have stop signs these days but not all so be careful in built up areas because drivers have right of way to pull out in front of you in urban areas. Sounds daft to us but it does help to keep speeds down.

Also inform your bank if you will be using your credit/debit cards abroad or they might get blocked for 'unusual transaction' doing this is important as bank's computers are more wary now than ever.
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to Opensauce for this post:
  • Andre, ron
Do not have speed camera locator in car if in France, if its on your satnav take it off. Big fines .
(25-05-2012, 08:35 PM)Opensauce Wrote:  I take it you know the stuff you need in the car for France? Hi viz jacket, warning triangle etc. Buy your diesel from supermarket pumps, much cheaper than motorway services, unmanned pumps take UK credit/debit cards. Town speed limits may not be signed but its 50k(30mph)as soon as you pass the town/village sign. Look out for priority right in towns. Most roads that turn into main rd have stop signs these days but not all so be careful in built up areas because drivers have right of way to pull out in front of you in urban areas. Sounds daft to us but it does help to keep speeds down.

Also inform your bank if you will be using your credit/debit cards abroad or they might get blocked for 'unusual transaction' doing this is important as bank's computers are more wary now than ever.

Thanks Opensauce for the tips . The priority right thingy does it apply at roundabouts?. Does it mean if you're on a roundabout you give way halfway round to somebody coming on ? I.ve got some hi vis vests somewhere I'll look out. I'll remember about the supermarket fuel, just like here. :thumbsup:

Taxi , some one told me about the speed camera thing only last week , just as he left the port at Calais the police were hanging around waiting to catch the unwary, he thought they could see the sat nav. on the windscreen, hence a easy catch. I'll hide it until I get lost. Confusedillyme:
Good gawd , sounds like a right mission !
Hope you've got time for an oliday when you get back :eek:
Enjoy, its magic driving in france, the berlingo feals really at home there, maybe wont want to come back???
2010 artic silver VTR with EXTRAS.......Confusedunny:
(25-05-2012, 09:34 PM)brodfather11 Wrote:  
(25-05-2012, 08:35 PM)Opensauce Wrote:  I take it you know the stuff you need in the car for France? Hi viz jacket, warning triangle etc. Buy your diesel from supermarket pumps, much cheaper than motorway services, unmanned pumps take UK credit/debit cards. Town speed limits may not be signed but its 50k(30mph)as soon as you pass the town/village sign. Look out for priority right in towns. Most roads that turn into main rd have stop signs these days but not all so be careful in built up areas because drivers have right of way to pull out in front of you in urban areas. Sounds daft to us but it does help to keep speeds down.

Thanks Opensauce for the tips . The priority right thingy does it apply at roundabouts?. Does it mean if you're on a roundabout you give way halfway round to somebody coming on ? I.ve got some hi vis vests somewhere I'll look out. I'll remember about the supermarket fuel, just like here. :thumbsup:

Taxi , some one told me about the speed camera thing only last week , just as he left the port at Calais the police were hanging around waiting to catch the unwary, he thought they could see the sat nav. on the windscreen, hence a easy catch. I'll hide it until I get lost. Confusedillyme:
even having speed camera locator on satnav is €1500 fine, TomTom has a " Danger Zone " service which is legal in France.
Was driving in France recently and my Garmin had a "Danger Zone" alert too but found it was pretty inaccurate. If you happen to pass thru Switzerland they are big on radar traps. Speed camera locator here will cost you CHF 10000 and confiscation of device. As of 1 July in France you'll need to have a breath alcohol analyzer in car.
2010 Berlingo Multispace HDi 110 with FAP.  Persamos green.

[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to 3rensho for this post:
  • ron
Thankfully the priority right no longer applies on any roundabout I have come across but older drivers often seem to think it does so be a bit careful. On a large roundabout the drill appears to be that unless taking next exit you drive around inside lane of roundabout allowing other cars to join on outside. Annoyingly few drivers use their indicators on roundabouts either.

French attitudes to drink driving are lax & it is becoming law in July that you have to carry 2 disposable breath test kits although no fines for non compliance until November so no rush. These kits are available from supermkt checkouts for about 1€ each.

I think in France you have to have a pretty high reading to actually get banned & the tiny Aixam cars can be driven without a licence so a popular choice among banned drunk drivers so watch for them weaving all over the place at 35mph max speed. Big Grin