Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
hazard warning lights
Question 
Hi. I'm having a problem with my hazard warning lights which have started coming on by themselves. This is only happening when the weather is hot - in normal weather they're OK. Once they come on the won't switch off with the switch. I just have to leave the car and eventually they stop. I had a new switch fitted thinking that heat build up in the cab may be affecting it somehow but this made no difference. I've searched the forum but no one seems to have had this problem. Does anyone have any ideas please? My Berlingo is an 08 Reg, Mark 2. Thanks.
It might be haunted Confusedillyme: Pull the flasher relay and give it a shake see if it rattles, something may be making a contact where it shouldn't.
So where does this bit go then ?
(08-06-2013, 08:06 AM)ffrenchie Wrote:  It might be haunted Confusedillyme: Pull the flasher relay and give it a shake see if it rattles, something may be making a contact where it shouldn't.

Didn't think there was a flasher relay?
Isn't it controlled by the BSI?
Could be wrong.... Confusedcratch:
(08-06-2013, 09:31 AM)j90xxx Wrote:  
(08-06-2013, 08:06 AM)ffrenchie Wrote:  It might be haunted Confusedillyme: Pull the flasher relay and give it a shake see if it rattles, something may be making a contact where it shouldn't.

Didn't think there was a flasher relay?
Isn't it controlled by the BSI?
Could be wrong.... Confusedcratch:

Thanks for the quick replies but I don't think there is a flasher relay. I also think it's BSI controlled. I have shaken and reset every fuse and electrical connection under the dash and bonnet but makes no difference. I was wondering if a BSI reset would help. Any thoughts?
isn't there a sensor or tilt switch ? on the ABS that activates the hazard lights if you have to brake quickly/suddenly. Could that have something to do with it?

Confusedcratch:
BSI reset will never do any harm.
(08-06-2013, 11:43 PM)Coco Wrote:  BSI reset will never do any harm.

Hi all, thought that I would update this. Been on holiday hence the gap in postings. A BSI reset didn't help. Worked out that once the interior of the car reaches about 80 degrees the hazards start misbehaving. Spoke to an auto electrician and current thinking is that the BSI, located under the dash, has a fault and when it gets hot sets off the hazards. Auto electrician offered to change the BSI but it is quite expensive and a cure wouldn't be guaranteed. As we don't normally get too many hot days I declined this offer. I now leave the rear four windows open on hot days and, touch wood, the hazards have not misbehaved. It's red hot today, over 80 outside and no problem. Either open windows work or the faults cured itself.
You could fit a computer fan to blow air over the BSI? It would be a cheap solution
Malc

Stupid computer!
Security system should not fail safe!
Security system should fail dangerous!
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to crickleymal for this post:
  • ron
(10-07-2013, 08:06 PM)crickleymal Wrote:  You could fit a computer fan to blow air over the BSI? It would be a cheap solution

Hi, strangely enough I was thinking along these lines but was thinking of a fan which would just plug into the socket and work as I drove. However the real problem is heat build up in the car when it is standing in the sun. I looked on line at solar powered fans which extract the hot air when the car is parked but reviews suggest that they don't work very well. I am thinking of buying an interior windscreen cover to see if this prevents heat build up. Leaving the windows open must work as today I forgot to open them, jumped into the car and within half a mile the hazards were flashing. Simple cure, pull into side of road, open all windows, put blowers on full. Within 10 minutes hazards OK and stayed off the rest of the 20 miles I drove. Bit of a pain but liveable with.
As there is no problem when the weather isn't hot, I don't think a BSI re-set will help you.
Strange one, this. I am tending to think that there may be a 'dry joint' on the BSI board that
is affected by temperature. If you're up to pulling out the BSI when this fault occurs you may be able to
isolate it by gently tapping the components with a plastic tool or your finger tip where you can reach.
(Or you can do the same when the fault is not apparent and see if you can make it appear.)
Oh...a 'dry joint' is a poorly made solder joint that does not bond to the PCB track correctly.
The Older I get the Better I Was!  Cool