Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
headlights
good morning & happy christmas.

just a quick question, can I update or improve the quality of my headlights /lights, in my multispace?

The reason I ask is I also drive a merc, and there is vast difference in headlights between the 2.

I know I cannot fit xenon bulbs, but is there an acceptable alternative?

thanks

kim
That's one of the first things I did. I put in Osram Night Breaker Plus and noticed quite an improvement. I think that model has been changed/superceded to/by Night Breaker Unlimited now.
2010 Berlingo Multispace HDi 110 with FAP.  Persamos green.

[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to 3rensho for this post:
  • kimbos1961
I use night breaker unlimited's, and they are a massive improvement over standard bulbs.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to DanClark for this post:
  • kimbos1961
Another thing you can do is get a wiring kit with relays to mount in the engine room.
Normally, the relays are mounted under the dash, with relatively thin wires going back there, then forward to the headlights.

Thin wires have a higher resistance, so lead to a higher voltage drop.

The wiring kits have thick wires that mount directly to the battery, go through relays next to the battery, then a short distance to the headlights.
To hook them into the wiring loom, you just take the connector from one of the headlights and plug into a special connector on the new wiring kit. Plug the new light connectors into the lights, and connect to the battery.
(20-12-2015, 10:54 AM)Gadgetman Wrote:  Another thing you can do is get a wiring kit with relays to mount in the engine room.

Below is a link to a Land Rover upgrade kit, the principle is the same for any vehicle ( thought you may like photos )

http://www.paddockspares.com/boomslang-p...-loom.html

Looking at the image - there are three plugs in the bottom left ......the two female plugs attach to the headlamp bulbs and the single male plug connects into ONE original headlamp plug and subsequently acts as the signal for the relay activation.
The top left black box is probably a fuse holder.
The red wires with a ring connector goes to the battery supply and the black ring terminal wire in the centre goes to earth.

Have to say quite a neat solution and sensibly priced for the right vehicle but whether you'd derive a benefit on a Berlingo will be up to someone else to test out as my wallet tells me the cost / benefit ratio won't be high enough for it to unzip.
2007 M59 1.6 HDi 

Serieal Berlingo owner  Heart Heart Heart
ive got night breakers on mine but bought a set of drl and going to wire them to come on at main beam
" Is there a reason that Land Rover kit linked above wouldn't work in a Berlingo? As it's an H4 plug and socket it should just plug in "

No reason why not .... cable lengths would be the main thing to check before buying
2007 M59 1.6 HDi 

Serieal Berlingo owner  Heart Heart Heart
(21-12-2015, 11:49 PM)Ewanm77 Wrote:  ive got night breakers on mine but bought a set of drl and going to wire them to come on at main beam

years ago i had a fiat 131 , wiring on that was crap,  headlights were crap , something like 7 volts at the bulbs, i put a set of relays in which transformed it.

ive also used various extra bright bulbs on various vehicles again well worth doing. if your unhappy with the std lights.and the voltage is ok.
that kit is usefull for non canbus lingo's only i think.
It really depends on where the relay(s) are mounted.
If they're under the dash, then yeah, it will help.

And even if a modern Berlingo has a modern wiring setup with CANbus and a relay in the engine compartment, replacing the wires with thicker ones will probably help.